Facebook in breach of Korean privacy laws, says regulator
IDG News Service - Facebook is in breach of South Korean data privacy laws and needs to do a better job of getting consent from users when getting their personal information, a South Korean regulator said Wednesday.
"Facebook violates the regulations on protection of privacy in information networks," said Choi Seong Jin, a spokesman for the KCC.
The U.S.-based company has 30 days to respond to the complaint, the KCC said.
Article 22 of South Korea's "Act on Promotion of Information and Communication Network Utilization and Information Protection" states: "If an information and communications service provider intends to gather user personal information, they shall obtain user consent."
The complaints come as Facebook is gaining popularity in South Korea. It has about 2.3 million members in the country, which accounts for roughly 5 percent of the population, according to figures from the KCC.
Just under two thirds of Koreans use social-networking services, the KCC said. Among citizens in their 20s that number rises to almost nine out of ten people.
South Korea is one of the most wired countries in the world and most homes enjoy fast, cheap, fiber-optic broadband connections.
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Considerations for Embracing Wireless Monitoring Employee behavior is once again driving major changes for IT departments - this time it's BYOD. This report details three critical steps to...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will... All Gov't Legislation/Regulation White Papers | Webcasts