Facebook in breach of Korean privacy laws, says regulator
IDG News Service - Facebook is in breach of South Korean data privacy laws and needs to do a better job of getting consent from users when getting their personal information, a South Korean regulator said Wednesday.
"Facebook violates the regulations on protection of privacy in information networks," said Choi Seong Jin, a spokesman for the KCC.
The U.S.-based company has 30 days to respond to the complaint, the KCC said.
Article 22 of South Korea's "Act on Promotion of Information and Communication Network Utilization and Information Protection" states: "If an information and communications service provider intends to gather user personal information, they shall obtain user consent."
The complaints come as Facebook is gaining popularity in South Korea. It has about 2.3 million members in the country, which accounts for roughly 5 percent of the population, according to figures from the KCC.
Just under two thirds of Koreans use social-networking services, the KCC said. Among citizens in their 20s that number rises to almost nine out of ten people.
South Korea is one of the most wired countries in the world and most homes enjoy fast, cheap, fiber-optic broadband connections.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Gov't Legislation/Regulation White Papers | Webcasts