Update: WikiLeaks' Assange arrested in London, denied bail
IDG News Service -
WikiLeaks' chief spokesman Julian Assange was arrested on Tuesday by U.K. police after surrendering to authorities and was denied bail later in the day after being deemed a flight risk.
Assange, 39, of Australia, will next appear in court on Dec. 14, according to Westminster Magistrates Court officials.
Assange has been accused of one count of unlawful coercion, two counts of sexual molestation and one count of rape stemming from incidents with two women in Sweden in August, according to a statement from the Metropolitan Police.
Assange has maintained that his encounters with the women were consensual, and Swedish prosecutors initially dropped rape charges.
However, Swedish Director of Public Prosecution Marianne Ny re-opened the investigation into the rape charges and said she wanted to question Assange, who was allowed to leave Sweden after the incidents.
Since then, Assange has spent time in the U.K., making few public appearances. The pressure has intensified on him as WikiLeaks began releasing portions of 250,000 secret U.S. diplomatic cables late last month.
Some U.S. politicians have called for his arrest, while the U.S. Attorney General's office is investigating whether he could be charged under the Espionage Act for releasing the material.
The U.S. Army has already charged Private First Class Bradley E. Manning with mishandling and transferring classified information in connection with the cables and a video of an Apache helicopter shooting civilians in Iraq. He is believed to have passed the material to WikiLeaks.
Meanwhile, WikiLeaks has taken steps to make its infrastructure more resilient after its Web site came under repeated denial-of-service attacks. WikiLeaks was also booted from Amazon Web Services after it was briefly hosted on its servers.
But more than 350 other Web sites are now up that are distributing WikiLeaks' content, posing further difficulties for authorities seeking to halt the release of the material.
- US agencies to release cyberthreat info faster to healthcare industry
- UPS now the third company in a week to disclose data breach
- Healthcare organizations still too lax on security
- Why would Chinese hackers want US hospital patient data?
- About 4.5M face risk of ID theft after hospital network hacked
- Supervalu breach shows why move to smartcards is long overdue
- Grocery stores in multiple states hit by data breach
- Update: Payment cards with chips aren't perfect, so encrypt everything, experts say
- U.S. agencies halt background checks by contractor after cyberattack
- Five unanswered questions about massive Russian hacker database
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Topic Center White Papers | Webcasts