Update: WikiLeaks' Assange arrested in London, denied bail
IDG News Service -
WikiLeaks' chief spokesman Julian Assange was arrested on Tuesday by U.K. police after surrendering to authorities and was denied bail later in the day after being deemed a flight risk.
Assange, 39, of Australia, will next appear in court on Dec. 14, according to Westminster Magistrates Court officials.
Assange has been accused of one count of unlawful coercion, two counts of sexual molestation and one count of rape stemming from incidents with two women in Sweden in August, according to a statement from the Metropolitan Police.
Assange has maintained that his encounters with the women were consensual, and Swedish prosecutors initially dropped rape charges.
However, Swedish Director of Public Prosecution Marianne Ny re-opened the investigation into the rape charges and said she wanted to question Assange, who was allowed to leave Sweden after the incidents.
Since then, Assange has spent time in the U.K., making few public appearances. The pressure has intensified on him as WikiLeaks began releasing portions of 250,000 secret U.S. diplomatic cables late last month.
Some U.S. politicians have called for his arrest, while the U.S. Attorney General's office is investigating whether he could be charged under the Espionage Act for releasing the material.
The U.S. Army has already charged Private First Class Bradley E. Manning with mishandling and transferring classified information in connection with the cables and a video of an Apache helicopter shooting civilians in Iraq. He is believed to have passed the material to WikiLeaks.
Meanwhile, WikiLeaks has taken steps to make its infrastructure more resilient after its Web site came under repeated denial-of-service attacks. WikiLeaks was also booted from Amazon Web Services after it was briefly hosted on its servers.
But more than 350 other Web sites are now up that are distributing WikiLeaks' content, posing further difficulties for authorities seeking to halt the release of the material.
- Arrests made after international cyber-ring targets StubHub
- SQL injection flaw opens door for Wall Street Journal database hack
- Goodwill Industries probes possible payment card breach
- Aloha point-of-sale terminal, sold on eBay, yields security surprises
- The biggest data breaches of 2014 (so far)
- Blue Shield discloses 18,000 doctors' Social Security numbers
- PF Chang's says breach was 'highly sophisticated criminal operation'
- Breaches exposed 1 in 7 US debit cards in 2013
- New malware program targets banking data
- How to protect yourself against privileged user abuse
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- Live Webcast How to serve up a Grand Slam with a scalable IT Infrastructure for cloud, big data and advanced analytics Register today to attend this webcast, and see examples of how The U.S. Tennis Association, Wimbledon and U.S. Golf Association are using the...
- Live Webcast Security Vulnerabilities Associated With Having Local Administrator Privileges Viewfinity will demonstrate how removing admin rights and granularly managing privileges at the application level reduces the attack surface.
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Topic Center White Papers | Webcasts