Offshoring blamed in part for IT's jobless recovery
The biggest jump in job losses came in 2009, with a net loss of 311,000 IT back-office jobs in the U.S. and Europe, according to Hackett Group figures.
Companies shift jobs offshore to save anywhere from 30% to 70% of worker costs within a brief period, sometimes as quickly as a quarter, said Janssen. Companies get the most savings by shifting entry-level positions offshore, he added.
Jerry Luftman, a professor at Stevens Institute of Technology's Howe School of Technology Management in Hoboken, N.J., who conducts an annual survey of IT budget allocations for the Society for Information Management (SIM), said he has found a similar shift in IT budgets toward offshoring.
In better economic times, about 3% to 4% of IT budgets on average were spent on offshore outsourcing. Today, IT departments allocate an average of 5% of the budget on offshoring, and that allocation is expected to rise to 7% in 2011, said Luftman.
Nonetheless, Luftman is bullish on the outlook for IT employment for people who have the right skills, including students coming out of college.
"The bottom line is IT is still the place to be for a career point of view," said Luftman. "Not only are there great job opportunities in the short term, I think for the foreseeable the future the opportunities are not only going to be there, but they will increase. Everything will be much more dependent on IT."
IT workers, however, will need more than simply technical skills, he said. From an employer's perspective, "if you're just going to offer me technical skills, I might as well just go offshore and get it a lot cheaper," said Luftman.
According to SIM surveys, employers are now are seeking a good balance of skills from IT professionals, including technical skills, general business knowledge, industry knowledge, negotiation and communications skills, and a sense of ethics, said Luftman.
He said his students are getting jobs quickly, and participation in college fairs by companies is at high levels.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- H-1B loophole may help California utility offshore IT jobs
- H-1B applications surge to 172,500, twice the cap
- U.S. hits H-1B cap with 'high number' of petitions
- Durbin warns Republicans standalone H-1B hike plan will fail
- Offshore firms took 50% of H-1B visas in 2013
- H-1B visas produce net IT job boost, trade group says
- Gates sees software replacing people; Greenspan calls for more H-1Bs
- Use of H-1B alternative skyrockets
- GOP presses ahead on H-1B, green cards with vague, muddy statement
- 5 reasons why your IT job search is getting harder
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All IT Careers White Papers |
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.