Offshoring blamed in part for IT's jobless recovery
The biggest jump in job losses came in 2009, with a net loss of 311,000 IT back-office jobs in the U.S. and Europe, according to Hackett Group figures.
Companies shift jobs offshore to save anywhere from 30% to 70% of worker costs within a brief period, sometimes as quickly as a quarter, said Janssen. Companies get the most savings by shifting entry-level positions offshore, he added.
Jerry Luftman, a professor at Stevens Institute of Technology's Howe School of Technology Management in Hoboken, N.J., who conducts an annual survey of IT budget allocations for the Society for Information Management (SIM), said he has found a similar shift in IT budgets toward offshoring.
In better economic times, about 3% to 4% of IT budgets on average were spent on offshore outsourcing. Today, IT departments allocate an average of 5% of the budget on offshoring, and that allocation is expected to rise to 7% in 2011, said Luftman.
Nonetheless, Luftman is bullish on the outlook for IT employment for people who have the right skills, including students coming out of college.
"The bottom line is IT is still the place to be for a career point of view," said Luftman. "Not only are there great job opportunities in the short term, I think for the foreseeable the future the opportunities are not only going to be there, but they will increase. Everything will be much more dependent on IT."
IT workers, however, will need more than simply technical skills, he said. From an employer's perspective, "if you're just going to offer me technical skills, I might as well just go offshore and get it a lot cheaper," said Luftman.
According to SIM surveys, employers are now are seeking a good balance of skills from IT professionals, including technical skills, general business knowledge, industry knowledge, negotiation and communications skills, and a sense of ethics, said Luftman.
He said his students are getting jobs quickly, and participation in college fairs by companies is at high levels.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov, or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- U.S. Senator blasts Microsoft's H-1B push as it lays off 18,000 workers
- Court case offers a peek at how H-1B-fueled discrimination works
- Obama has big options for green card, H-1B reform without Congress
- An H-1B whistleblower tries again for justice
- If immigration reform is dead, so is raising the H-1B cap
- Many comments on new H-1B rule, but few are 'unique'
- Readers rant about IT worker who trained H1-B replacement
- Cantor, a reliable 'yes' vote for raising the H-1B visa cap, is unseated
- This IT worker had to train an H-1B replacement
- An H-1B cap hike would mean a grim future for workers
Read more about IT Careers in Computerworld's IT Careers Topic Center.
- 2014 IT Workplace Trends and Salary Guide Staying competitive in the IT market can be challenging. This guide provides you with insight into variety of IT workplace trends including, U.S....
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Careers White Papers | Webcasts
Our 28th annual survey results show which IT skills are in high demand and which are cooling off. Also, see how your salary stacks up to peers' with our Smart Salary Tool.