RIM to buy UI developer to boost place vs. Apple's iPad
IDG News Service - Research In Motion (RIM) plans to acquire Swedish company The Astonishing Tribe (TAT), which specializes in developing user interfaces, according to a blog posted on Thursday
TAT will help RIM develop the user interfaces on smartphones and its upcoming tablet, PlayBook, the blog post said. The acquisition is a good move by RIM, because user interfaces is an area where the RIM has lagged behind its rivals, according to Ben Wood, director of research at CCS Insight. TAT is good at building innovative user interfaces that are not just easy-to-use, but also make, for example, smartphones fun to use, he said.
TAT is especially excited about helping RIM develop the PlayBook's user interface.
"I am not sure if our work will yield results in the first version that will come out this winter, but we will work on that product and future versions of it," TAT founder Hampus Jakobsson told IT24, an IDG Sweden website.
The tablet market is getting increasingly crowded, and a user interface enhanced by TAT could help set the PlayBook apart from the competition, Wood said. The Android-based Samsung Galaxy Tab has shown that you can't just supersize the user interface on a smartphone to get a good user experience on a tablet, he said.
The deal is also a blow to Google and the Android camp, because TAT and its work has become increasingly valuable to the Android community, according to Wood.
RIM hasn't announced any financial details.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Step Out of the Bull's-Eye Learn about the evolution of targeted attacks, the latest in security intelligence, and strategic steps to keep your business safe.
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts