IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard has dropped plans to offer Microsoft's next version of Windows Home Server OS, code-named Vail, in its products, after retiring a line of servers carrying the current version of the OS, Microsoft said Tuesday.
Microsoft said in a blog entry that HP's decision to not support the upcoming Windows Home Server OS is tied to its decision to retire MediaSmart Server products, which run the current version of Windows Home Server.
"As such, HP has told us they do not plan to provide a platform for Windows Home Server code name 'Vail'. HP has told us they will continue to sell the existing version of MediaSmart Server through the end of the calendar year 2010 and will honor service and support agreements," Microsoft wrote on the Windows Team Blog.
However, Microsoft said it is working with partners such as Acer and Tranquil to bring products with Vail to the market. Vail is due out in 2011.
HP's MediaSmart servers are generally used in homes to serve multimedia files across a network, and also used as a data backup device. The EX490 and EX495 servers are listed as being out of stock on the company's retail website.
HP officials did not respond to requests for comment. However, the company has said it wants to put more focus on bringing out a range of new products based on the WebOS operating system, including smartphones, tablets and printers. The company got WebOS after it bought Palm earlier this year.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All PCs White Papers | Webcasts