PC World - Windows doesn't always work the way you want it to. For all its advances, even Windows 7 has its own quirky methods of getting things done. And sometimes, the operating system simply breaks.
Tweaking and fixing these issues keeps consultants employed and sites like this one in business. But you know what? You don't have to spend hours and hours getting your sound working, disabling the Caps Lock key, or trying to change Word's "Normal" font choice from Calibri into something readable. After all, the hard part usually isn't performing the actual fix, it's finding exactly what is wrong and locating the proper submenu, checkbox, or Registry entry that hides the tweak you need. When you get right down to it, fixing your computer should take minutes, not months.
With that in mind, we offer this collection of 5-minute fixes: tweaks, upgrades, and how-tos for some of your PC's most aggravating issues, none of which should take you more than 5 minutes to resolve.
We've organized these tips and fixes into four different categories. Check out "Easy Fixes for Networking Problems" for help troubleshooting your Internet connection or sharing files, or read "Simple Fixes for a Problematic PC" if you're having difficulty with audio, drivers, or any other kind of computer-crippling issues. If you're wondering how to remap your keyboard, turn off automatic reboots, or nix AutoPlay, stop by "Quick Windows Fixes." And if you really do need to know how to change the "Normal" style in Microsoft Word, "Fast Fixes for Office Annoyances" is right up your alley.
- 7 Elements of Radically Simple OS Migration OS migration is typically time-consuming and expensive. To make your next migration easy, follow these six recommendations when planning your project.
- Flying High on the Use of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Flybe was one of the 21 companies that were interviewed for quantitative results on their operations as part of an IDC ROI analysis....
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- Protecting Critical SaaS Data Before It's Too Late In this webinar, you'll hear how to avoid SaaS data loss through best practices from a panel of experts.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts