Microsoft to cut Mac Office price by 33% for 5-day sale
Thanksgiving weekend sales prices new suite as low as $80
Computerworld - Microsoft will slash the price of its Office for Mac 2011 suite by as much as 33% next week during a five-day sale.
Office for Mac 2011, which launched late last month, will be discounted at several online and brick-and-mortar retailers starting on Nov. 25, Thanksgiving Day in the U.S. The deal will run through Monday, Nov. 29.
Amazon.com will cut the price of Home & Student by $40, to $79 for the one-license version and $109 for the three-license package. Home & Student lists for $119.99 and $149.99 for the one- and three-license editions, respectively, putting Amazon's discounts at 33% and 27%.
Other retailers, including Apple's own stores, Best Buy, MacMall and Microsoft's e-store, will chop off $20 from the list price of Home & Student.
Microsoft has discounted the Mac application suite before. In 2008, for instance, the company cut prices by as much as 70% for the then-current Office for Mac 2008 Special Media Edition, a $499.95 bundle that Microsoft did not revive for the newest edition.
As of mid-day Thursday, Office for Mac 2011 Home & Student held the No. 5 spot in Amazon's software bestseller list, while the pricier Home & Business had the No. 7 spot. The latter includes the same Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications as Home & Student, but adds the Outlook e-mail client to the mix.
Microsoft's Windows-based Office 2010 Home & Student was the No. 1 package on the same list.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apple hasn't exhausted its supply of Yosemite betas
- 13 pieces of advice for Yosemite beta testers
- The other Apple economy: $2B in devices on eBay
- Apple sends users scrambling for OS X Yosemite
- Long replacement cycle drags down iPad sales
- Apple unwraps OS X Yosemite public beta Thursday
- Apple grows Mac sales by 18% on the back of the MacBook Air
- Want an Apple watch? Just 3D print one
- What to listen for during Apple's earnings call today
- Mac sales will again outstrip industry average
Read more about Desktop Apps in Computerworld's Desktop Apps Topic Center.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts