Microsoft to cut Mac Office price by 33% for 5-day sale
Thanksgiving weekend sales prices new suite as low as $80
Computerworld - Microsoft will slash the price of its Office for Mac 2011 suite by as much as 33% next week during a five-day sale.
Office for Mac 2011, which launched late last month, will be discounted at several online and brick-and-mortar retailers starting on Nov. 25, Thanksgiving Day in the U.S. The deal will run through Monday, Nov. 29.
Amazon.com will cut the price of Home & Student by $40, to $79 for the one-license version and $109 for the three-license package. Home & Student lists for $119.99 and $149.99 for the one- and three-license editions, respectively, putting Amazon's discounts at 33% and 27%.
Other retailers, including Apple's own stores, Best Buy, MacMall and Microsoft's e-store, will chop off $20 from the list price of Home & Student.
Microsoft has discounted the Mac application suite before. In 2008, for instance, the company cut prices by as much as 70% for the then-current Office for Mac 2008 Special Media Edition, a $499.95 bundle that Microsoft did not revive for the newest edition.
As of mid-day Thursday, Office for Mac 2011 Home & Student held the No. 5 spot in Amazon's software bestseller list, while the pricier Home & Business had the No. 7 spot. The latter includes the same Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications as Home & Student, but adds the Outlook e-mail client to the mix.
Microsoft's Windows-based Office 2010 Home & Student was the No. 1 package on the same list.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hands on: Apple's Mac Pro is the fastest Mac ever
- Apple CFO to retire in September after he cashes in $53M stock award
- Apple's CarPlay to spark mobile apps war in your car
- Apple retires Snow Leopard from support, leaves 1 in 5 Macs vulnerable to attacks
- Apple patches critical 'gotofail' bug with Mavericks update
- Why Apple needs a $700 MacBook Air
- Apple takes top spot in brand value computation
- Apple gets a patent for health-monitoring ear buds
- Apple shifts to hardware-first TV strategy with revamped set-top box
- iTunes is almost as big a biz as OEM Windows
Read more about Desktop Apps in Computerworld's Desktop Apps Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts