IDG News Service - Black Duck Software announced Tuesday it is acquiring the assets of application development toolmaker SpikeSource. Terms were not disclosed.
SpikeSource's technology includes SpikeInsight, a cloud service that developers can use to check code for compliance, security and dependency issues. The company also runs the SpikeForge site, which hosts 17 open-source projects, and related forums.
Black Duck plans to use SpikeSource's products as a complement to its own software suite for managing the use of open-source software in application development.
The deal comes shortly after Black Duck announced the purchase of Ohloh.net, a public directory of open-source projects.
More details about Black Duck's plans for SpikeSource will be released in coming months, according to a statement.
Overall, the acquisitions are part of an effort by Black Duck to change from a "compliance tool provider to full life-cycle open source enabler, community participant and FOSS advocate," CEO Tim Yeaton said in a statement.
SpikeSource has a significant leadership pedigree. It was once headed by noted Silicon Valley software executive Kim Polese, who remained a board member along with chairman and founder Ray Lane, a former president of Oracle.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts