Verizon Business service adds mobile device toolkit
Allows use of enterprise apps across many devices
Computerworld - Verizon Business today announced a hosted service to help customers develop and deploy applications such as CRM software across multiple devices such as the iPhone, Symbian, Windows Phone 7 and, soon, Android.
Verizon said it added the Mobile Services Enablement Platform to its existing Managed Mobility service launched a year ago to give customers flexibility in designing mobile business applications across a variety of devices and carriers. That allows a company to more easily support many of the popular devices users want to carry.
The Verizon approach relies on the Sybase Unwired Platform, which has pre-built templates for some leading enterprise applications, including those from Siebel, SAP, Oracle, Remedy, Salesforce.com, and Amdocs, said Cliff Cibelli, a Verizon Business group manager for product marketing and development.
The development toolkit "makes it relatively easy to port an application from BlackBerry to Symbian, iOS, WP7 and Android in the near future," Cibelli said in an interview.
Pricing for the service is $50 a month per application per device for the most sophisticated applications, he said. The simplest application could cost a "few dollars," he said.
Cibelli said the service is needed, given the range of devices now on the market. "Two years ago, it was all about Research in Motion [maker of the BlackBerry], but then the iPhone and Android have hit," he said.
Customers will pick their own hardware, and Verizon will treat videoconferencing and other emerging collaboration capabilities as "just another app that we could make sure works on their devices," he said.
Mike Sapien, an analyst at Ovum, said the new mobile application fills a gap in Verizon's mobile service offering. "Verizon has provided one of the major requirements of the large enterprise customers looking for more than just mobile service and device management," he said via e-mail.
He said Verizon competes globally with, mainly, AT&T, Orange Business Services and British Telecom and in the U.S. against Sprint Nextel.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts