Facebook's new message system supports online Office docs
Facebook users can view -- but not edit -- Word, Excel and PowerPoint files using Office Web Apps
Computerworld - Microsoft today announced that its Office Web Apps will be integrated with the new Facebook messaging that the latter unveiled early Monday.
Facebook's messaging service, which blends e-mail, instant messages and text messages into a single inbox, will support attachments of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents, according to Takeshi Numoto, an executive in the Office group.
Users who lack a copy of Office installed on their computers will be able to view Facebook-delivered Word, Excel and PowerPoint attachments using Office Web Apps, said Numoto.
Only people who have the desktop version of Office will be able to download, edit and save attachments, however.
Office Web Apps is Microsoft's stripped-down, online-only version of its desktop suite. The online applications -- Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote -- launched in June.
A single-click on the Facebook-delivered attachment -- by choosing "View on Office.com" -- displays the document in the user's browser. Alternately, people can click "Download" to download the file, which can then be opened with Office, assuming the suite is on the machine.
Office Web Apps supports Internet Explorer 7 and later, Firefox 3.5 and later, Chrome and Safari 4 and later.
"[Docs.com] will continue in parallel as we continue to test how 'the social' and productivity come together for users," a Microsoft spokeswoman said today.
Also on Monday, the Docs.com team announced that the service has been integrated with Facebook's new Groups feature, which will let Facebook members share Word, Excel and PowerPoint files with selected groups of friends.
Docs.com also relies on Office Web Apps if the user lacks the desktop version of Office. Unlike the Facebook messaging integration, however, with Docs.com, users can also create and edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents with Office Web Apps.
The Office Web Apps integration will roll out gradually over the next several months as Facebook offers it to members in stages.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Update: Facebook back up after crash
- What to expect in Facebook's earnings call today
- Could you quit Facebook for 99 days?
- Facebook is a school yard bully that's going down
- EPIC says Facebook 'messed with people's minds,' seeks FTC sanctions
- 7 things you need to know about Facebook's mood experiment
- Facebook emotional manipulation test turns users into 'lab rats'
- Facebook tries to stop Snapchat drain with Slingshot
- TMI! Facebook moves to stop over-sharing
- Inside Facebook's brilliant plan to hog your data
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Need to Replace MS Threat Management Gateway? Read this article to learn how F5's Secure Web Gateway solution provides a full set of features that can help you successfully migrate...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts