IDG News Service - In an effort to expand software compatibility for its upcoming Fusion chips, Advanced Micro Devices on Monday joined rival Intel's efforts to develop the open-source MeeGo OS.
AMD "will provide engineering expertise intended to help establish the technical foundations for next-generation mobile platforms and embedded devices," the company said in a blog post on its website. Joining the development effort could help expand market opportunities for its Fusion chips, the company said.
The announcement was made at the MeeGo Conference 2010 in Dublin.
The OS already works with x86 chips, making it compatible with AMD's existing processors. But AMD early next year plans to release a new family of chips called Fusion, which merge the CPU and graphics processor onto one chip. The company is initially aiming at netbooks with the chip and the company last week also said that future Fusion chips will go into tablets.
With help from operating systems, Fusion chips will achieve the processing power of graphics processing units to speed up applications such as imaging or video. The chips are already compatible with Microsoft's DirectX 11, a set of tools that can offload tasks to GPUs to speed up application performance. Microsoft's Internet Explorer and Google's Chrome offload tasks such as rendering HTML 5 or Flash video content to GPUs and Mozilla's Firefox 4, now in beta, also has that capability.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts