IDG News Service - In an effort to expand software compatibility for its upcoming Fusion chips, Advanced Micro Devices on Monday joined rival Intel's efforts to develop the open-source MeeGo OS.
AMD "will provide engineering expertise intended to help establish the technical foundations for next-generation mobile platforms and embedded devices," the company said in a blog post on its website. Joining the development effort could help expand market opportunities for its Fusion chips, the company said.
The announcement was made at the MeeGo Conference 2010 in Dublin.
The OS already works with x86 chips, making it compatible with AMD's existing processors. But AMD early next year plans to release a new family of chips called Fusion, which merge the CPU and graphics processor onto one chip. The company is initially aiming at netbooks with the chip and the company last week also said that future Fusion chips will go into tablets.
With help from operating systems, Fusion chips will achieve the processing power of graphics processing units to speed up applications such as imaging or video. The chips are already compatible with Microsoft's DirectX 11, a set of tools that can offload tasks to GPUs to speed up application performance. Microsoft's Internet Explorer and Google's Chrome offload tasks such as rendering HTML 5 or Flash video content to GPUs and Mozilla's Firefox 4, now in beta, also has that capability.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!