Boutique PC builders: When you want the very best
Another elder of boutique builders, Falcon Northwest was founded in 1992. In those days, games such as flight simulators placed tremendous demands on a PC's CPU and graphics card. Falcon picked up the ball and has been running with it ever since.
The Mach V brand has been in production since 1992. With a 3-GHz Intel Core i7 850 processor, 6GB of RAM, an Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 graphics card and a 500GB hard drive, the base $1,903 unit is hardly a slouch. You can bump it up to a Core i7 Extreme processor, 12GB of memory, dual ATI HD 5970 graphics cards, two hard drives and an SSD; the grand total for that is $6,897.
To really impress your buds, you can add a full-on custom paint job or one of Falcon's own designs. The cases are hand-painted using high-quality automotive paint. For example, the Flames motif will set you back another $1,250. My favorite, the Red Rain paint scheme, almost looks three-dimensional and costs $900.
According to Falcon Northwest founder Kelt Reeves, the company recently completed a customized FragBox -- a small form-factor PC measuring 8 x 10.75 x 14.75 in. -- with a purple flame paint scheme and a price tag of $17,000.
Falcon's laptops come with displays measuring 17 (DRX), 15.6 (TLX) and 13.3 (I/O) in. Size and heat restrictions limit the base $1,459 I/O, a 13.3-in. notebook that's the "baby" of the group, to hard drive upgrades (up to a 500GB hard drive or 256GB SSD).
The 17-in. DRX, however, which starts at about $4,200 for a Core i7 950 (3.06-GHz) CPU, 6GB of memory and a 320GB hard drive, lets you upgrade to a Core i7 Extreme CPU and as much as 12GB of memory for about $5,400 in total. It's a power-hungry portable that will go through a 12-cell lithium-ion battery in about 45 minutes of DVD playback. A dual battery pack option ($169) will add another 45 minutes, for a total battery life of 90 minutes.
A 30-day money-back guarantee covers computer purchases. While the Talon and the laptops have only a one-year warranty, the Mach V and the FragBox come with coverage for three years. In addition, the Mach V, the FragBox and the laptops come with one year of overnight service, including parts, labor and overnight shipping on the systems for the duration of the Falcon Overnight service period.
At a Glance
Business start date: April 1992
Desktop lines: Mach V, Talon, FragBox
Laptop lines: EDRX, TLX, I/O
Warranty: Mach V and FragBox: three-year parts & labor; one-year overnight shipping. Talon and laptops: one-year parts, labor and shipping.
Refund policy: 30-day money-back guarantee; restocking fee for special-order items
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts