Dell will replace flawed Venue Pro smartphone handsets
IDG News Service - Dell on Thursday acknowledged that some of its recently shipped Venue Pro smartphones have issues relating to Wi-Fi connectivity and mislabeled batteries, and is offering customers replacements.
Dell started shipping the smartphone on Monday, and blog sites shortly began reporting that some Venue Pro customers were not able to connect to secure Wi-Fi networks. A blog site, TheNextWeb, also reported that some smartphones came with batteries labeled "Engineering Samples," raising concerns that those devices were not final production units.
Dell in a blog entry posted Thursday acknowledged both issues, and said it would allow dissatisfied customers to swap phones starting next week.
The company confirmed that some of its Venue Pro smartphones had issues connecting to protected Wi-Fi networks, which "resulted from a software glitch during Dell's manufacturing process," the company said in its blog. The Wi-Fi issues are not related to issues in hardware or the Windows Phone 7 OS, the company said.
The Wi-Fi issues affected some "initial phone shipments," and the company is offering replacements for affected customers who purchased the smartphones on Monday or Tuesday at Microsoft retail stores.
Dell is also offering replacements for customers with smartphones containing batteries that were mistakenly labeled as samples. Dell said the batteries shipped and sold through the Microsoft retail stores were "indeed production quality," but were mislabeled at the factory due to an oversight.
Customers seeking replacements for either issue may return to Microsoft retail stores and swap old phones for new models beginning at the end of next week.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!