CEO Interview: Blue Coat Systems' Mike Borman
InfoWorld - Talk about pressure. Mike Borman had been at Blue Coat Systems as CEO only about three weeks when IDG Enterprise Chief Content Officer John Gallant and InfoWorld.com Editor-in-Chief Eric Knorr pinned him down for an interview on where he plans to take the application delivery technology company. In this installment of the IDGE CEO Interview Series, Borman -- who was formerly CEO of Avocent and a top IBM executive, among other roles -- talked about new directions for Blue Coat, including moves to capture opportunities in cloud computing and in the market for midsized IT shops. Joined by Chief Product Officer and former CEO Brian NeSmith, Borman also discussed the tough competitive landscape where Blue Coat battles companies like Riverbed and Cisco in WAN optimization and security.
Why did you take this position? What did you see in the company, and why did you think this was the right opportunity?
Borman: I looked at more than 20 different CEO opportunities, some private, some public. Most were software. That's where my strength is and that's where I think I can add the most value. I was looking at a number of attributes. The first was: What kind of market are they in? My view of this market, if you abstract it up, is that we're here to make the Internet faster and more secure. Over the past 20, 30 years, the Internet has been built without many rules. It's like building roads all over America and having no speed limits and no stop signs. We can add a lot of value in round two of structuring the Internet. I think the surface has just been scratched. There's so much more that we'll be able to do, in terms of security and making things faster, but actually making some rules so that people can communicate at the right time, with the right information.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts