IDG News Service - PayPal experienced an outage that at its peak affected most of its members for about an hour-and-a-half, but with aftershocks that lingered until midafternoon.
The technical problems, which prevented PayPal members from using the online payment service to conduct transactions, began at about 11 a.m. U.S. Eastern Time and were prematurely declared solved around 1 p.m., although issues lasted until about 3:30 p.m.
Hours-long outages and availability problems with online payment systems such as PayPal inevitably cost merchants money in lost sales, dissatisfied customers and tarnished brands.
In its blog postings about the issue, PayPal hasn't given a reason for the outage but said it plans eventually to provide details about what went wrong. "I'd like to apologize on behalf of the company to anyone who was affected," wrote a PayPal official identified only as Anuj.
PayPal, with more than 87 million active PayPal accounts -- and growing -- in 190 markets and 24 currencies worldwide, is increasingly important to the financial health of parent company eBay.
PayPal posted third-quarter revenue growth of 22 percent from a year earlier, to US$838 million, while the eBay online marketplace increased its revenue by only 3 percent.
Revenue for all of eBay increased just 1 percent, eBay said last week. PayPal made up 37 percent of eBay's overall revenue, up from 31 percent in 2009's third quarter.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts