IDG News Service - Intel on Friday announced the opening of a massive $1 billion chip testing and assembly facility in Vietnam, the biggest such facility for Intel anywhere in the world.
The world's largest chip maker said the factory has a total area of 46,000 square meters, about the size of five and a half football fields, Intel said in a statement. Chip testing and assembly factories are where chips are sent to be tested for defects and then placed inside protective packaging.
"Assembly and test is a critical final step in the end-to-end manufacturing of Intel’s silicon products," the company said.
The Vietnam factory differs from Intel's other big announcement this week, the opening of its US$2.5 billion chip manufacturing plant in China, in that a chip manufacturing plant actually produces chips.
Intel estimates several thousand jobs will be created by the new facility in Vietnam.
The new factory is located in the Saigon Hi-tech Park, District 9, in Ho Chi Minh City. This is Intel's biggest project in Vietnam since it opened its first office in Ho Chi Minh City in 1997.
The chip assembly plant does most of its work on chipsets for laptops and mobile devices, Intel said.
Intel said it was attracted to Vietnam by its skilled, vibrant workforce, as well as the support Intel has received over the past four years from the Vietnam government, the Saigon Hi-tech Park and suppliers. The project was first announced in 2006, and construction began in March, 2007, according to information provided by Intel.
Oracle Software Licensing: The Value of Resellers
NEW white paper explores real-world insights and:
* The Rise of Audits
* Compliance Spend
* SAM and Compliance
* Working Directly with a...
- ACM Leadership Guide Knowledge worker effectiveness has emerged as a top priority to both optimize the customer experience and help employees work more efficiently. See how...
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the... All Management White Papers | Webcasts