IDG News Service - Intel on Friday announced the opening of a massive $1 billion chip testing and assembly facility in Vietnam, the biggest such facility for Intel anywhere in the world.
The world's largest chip maker said the factory has a total area of 46,000 square meters, about the size of five and a half football fields, Intel said in a statement. Chip testing and assembly factories are where chips are sent to be tested for defects and then placed inside protective packaging.
"Assembly and test is a critical final step in the end-to-end manufacturing of Intel’s silicon products," the company said.
The Vietnam factory differs from Intel's other big announcement this week, the opening of its US$2.5 billion chip manufacturing plant in China, in that a chip manufacturing plant actually produces chips.
Intel estimates several thousand jobs will be created by the new facility in Vietnam.
The new factory is located in the Saigon Hi-tech Park, District 9, in Ho Chi Minh City. This is Intel's biggest project in Vietnam since it opened its first office in Ho Chi Minh City in 1997.
The chip assembly plant does most of its work on chipsets for laptops and mobile devices, Intel said.
Intel said it was attracted to Vietnam by its skilled, vibrant workforce, as well as the support Intel has received over the past four years from the Vietnam government, the Saigon Hi-tech Park and suppliers. The project was first announced in 2006, and construction began in March, 2007, according to information provided by Intel.
- Study: Total Economic Impact of Google Apps Employees can work faster and IT spending can decrease when companies switch to Google Apps, says a commissioned study by Forrester Consulting. Going...
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Is a SaaS Deployment Right for You? Find out the answer and as well as the other deployment options.
- Discover How Mail Express Solves 2 of Your Biggest IT Headaches Email. It can be the source of some of IT's biggest headaches. As it eats up storage and bandwidth, it also opens up...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Management White Papers | Webcasts