IDG News Service - With prosecutors seeking an 18-month prison sentence, Sarah Palin hacker David Kernell is asking the judge in his case for probation instead.
In court filings, Kernell's lawyers argue that his "youth and emotional condition" justify a reduced sentence and that what he did was an "aberration from his normal course of conduct."
"The public humiliation, trial, and felony conviction are enough to deter any further violations of the law," Kernell's lawyers said in a court filing entered Tuesday. The filing was first reported by The Smoking Gun.
Kernell was convicted on April 30 of resetting Palin's password to gain access to the firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail account used by the 2008 vice-presidential candidate. Kernell, who was a 20-year-old college student at the time, posted information from the account to the 4chan website.
According to chat logs, Kernell hoped to find incriminating information on Palin to "derail" her election campaign. Instead, he uncovered only mundane e-mail conversations.
To support their motion, Kernell's lawyers filed school and medical records under seal that include information on treatment their client received as a juvenile.
In a sentencing memorandum Wednesday, prosecutors asked for an 18-month sentence. The "personal history and characteristics of the defendant reveal a person who has a clear disregard for the law," the prosecutors said.
Kernell is due to be sentenced on Nov. 12 at the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee.
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
If you think getting it right from day one is always what matters, you probably haven't been following technology too closely.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Mitigating DDoS Attacks with F5 Technology
- This document examines various DDoS attack methods and the application of specific ADC technologies to block attacks in the DDoS threat spectrum while...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum
- Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Defending Against Denial of Service Attacks
- By utilizing end-user interviews, this whitepaper explores a deeper understanding of DDoS defense plans and reveals the knowledge gaps around the Denial of...
- Strategic Solutions for Government IT
- This paper outlines why F5 is the optimum partner to help achieve the levels of security, performance and availability that are vital to...
Top Considerations for Moving to a Cloud Delivery Model for ITSM
Find out whether SaaS-based ITSM is right for you
- Software-as-a-service is more than just a cloud-based delivery model-it's a new approach to service that lets companies optimize utilization of in-house IT resources... All Government IT White Papers
- Pre-Engineered solutions from VCE Simplify Core Infrastructure Implementation In this video, the CTO of Purdue Pharma, a privately held pharmaceutical company explains how Purdue transformed their data center infrastructure with VCE.
- Integrated Infrastructure: Simplify Operations, Speed Deployments and Reduce Costs George Weiss, Gartner Vice President and Analyst, and Praveen Akkiraju, CEO of VCE, provide practical information regarding the various aspects of Integrated Infrastructures...
- Video: 5 Secrets To Scaling Enterprise Apps Watch this video to learn how to successfully scale enterprise apps>>
- Collaboration 2013: Where Mobility Meets Connectivity Mobility and collaboration are quickly converging and users are demanding more capabilities. It's no longer enough to enable file sharing. This Webcast dives...
- Modernizing SAP environments with minimum risk - a path to Big Data Hear from top IDC analyst, Richard Villars, about the path you can start taking now to enable your organization to get the benefits...
- All Government IT Webcasts
Does your organization offer extensive benefits, cool perks, competitive salaries, opportunities for training and advancement? Then get it recognized!
Nominate your company or another deserving organization for Computerworld's 2014 Best Places to Work in IT list now through Dec. 12, 2013.