IDG News Service - With prosecutors seeking an 18-month prison sentence, Sarah Palin hacker David Kernell is asking the judge in his case for probation instead.
In court filings, Kernell's lawyers argue that his "youth and emotional condition" justify a reduced sentence and that what he did was an "aberration from his normal course of conduct."
"The public humiliation, trial, and felony conviction are enough to deter any further violations of the law," Kernell's lawyers said in a court filing entered Tuesday. The filing was first reported by The Smoking Gun.
Kernell was convicted on April 30 of resetting Palin's password to gain access to the firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail account used by the 2008 vice-presidential candidate. Kernell, who was a 20-year-old college student at the time, posted information from the account to the 4chan website.
According to chat logs, Kernell hoped to find incriminating information on Palin to "derail" her election campaign. Instead, he uncovered only mundane e-mail conversations.
To support their motion, Kernell's lawyers filed school and medical records under seal that include information on treatment their client received as a juvenile.
In a sentencing memorandum Wednesday, prosecutors asked for an 18-month sentence. The "personal history and characteristics of the defendant reveal a person who has a clear disregard for the law," the prosecutors said.
Kernell is due to be sentenced on Nov. 12 at the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee.
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery
- Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery
- Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets
- Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014
- Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to... All Government IT White Papers
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- All Government IT Webcasts