IDG News Service - Russia has reportedly launched its first-ever criminal case related to spam against a man accused of running one of the world's most prolific pharmaceutical spam operations, according to local news reports.
The investigation focuses on Igor Gusev, who is general director of the company Despmedia, which is affiliated with Glavmed.com, a site that appears to be an affiliate program related to driving traffic to Web sites selling drugs over the Internet, according RIA Novosti, citing the Kommersant newspaper.
Despmedia has generated $120 million in revenue since 2007, with Gusev netting $2 million, Kommersant reported.
RIA Novosti wrote that Gusev is believed to be outside of Russia. His Moscow home was raided on Tuesday, according to Reuters, which also cited the Kommersant story.Reuters spoke to Gusev's lawyer, Vadim Kolosov, who said Gusev is innocent.
Spam promoting Web sites selling drugs is still one of the largest categories of spam messages. Although the response rate is low, it is a viable business due to the sheer volume of messages that are sent, according to a 2008 study by researchers from the University of California.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts