IDG News Service - Russia has reportedly launched its first-ever criminal case related to spam against a man accused of running one of the world's most prolific pharmaceutical spam operations, according to local news reports.
The investigation focuses on Igor Gusev, who is general director of the company Despmedia, which is affiliated with Glavmed.com, a site that appears to be an affiliate program related to driving traffic to Web sites selling drugs over the Internet, according RIA Novosti, citing the Kommersant newspaper.
Despmedia has generated $120 million in revenue since 2007, with Gusev netting $2 million, Kommersant reported.
RIA Novosti wrote that Gusev is believed to be outside of Russia. His Moscow home was raided on Tuesday, according to Reuters, which also cited the Kommersant story.Reuters spoke to Gusev's lawyer, Vadim Kolosov, who said Gusev is innocent.
Spam promoting Web sites selling drugs is still one of the largest categories of spam messages. Although the response rate is low, it is a viable business due to the sheer volume of messages that are sent, according to a 2008 study by researchers from the University of California.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!