IDG News Service - Russia has reportedly launched its first-ever criminal case related to spam against a man accused of running one of the world's most prolific pharmaceutical spam operations, according to local news reports.
The investigation focuses on Igor Gusev, who is general director of the company Despmedia, which is affiliated with Glavmed.com, a site that appears to be an affiliate program related to driving traffic to Web sites selling drugs over the Internet, according RIA Novosti, citing the Kommersant newspaper.
Despmedia has generated $120 million in revenue since 2007, with Gusev netting $2 million, Kommersant reported.
RIA Novosti wrote that Gusev is believed to be outside of Russia. His Moscow home was raided on Tuesday, according to Reuters, which also cited the Kommersant story.Reuters spoke to Gusev's lawyer, Vadim Kolosov, who said Gusev is innocent.
Spam promoting Web sites selling drugs is still one of the largest categories of spam messages. Although the response rate is low, it is a viable business due to the sheer volume of messages that are sent, according to a 2008 study by researchers from the University of California.
- The Pivotal Big Data Suite- Reducing the Risks of Big Data The explosion of big data and the rapid evolution of big data tools and technologies is challenging IT to meet the demands of...
- A Survival Guide for Data in the Wild All corporate data used to reside in the data center. Safe and sound behind the corporate firewall. But now, employees have multiple devices...
- Transforming Security: Designing a State-of-the-Art Extended Team The information security mission is no longer about implementing and operating controls.
- The Big Data Security Analytics Era Is Here New security risks and old security challenges often overwhelm legacy security controls and analytical tools.
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!