IDG News Service - Yahoo will unwrap on Wednesday a test version of a major upgrade of its Mail service, whose user engagement has been eroding to the detriment of the company's overall usage.
Called simply Yahoo Mail Beta, the new version of the webmail service will feature a revamped interface and navigation scheme, improved functionality for viewing photos and videos, tighter Twitter and Facebook integration and sharper spam detection and filtering.
A lot is riding on this Yahoo Mail upgrade. In May, Yahoo CEO Carol Bartz blamed Mail for a drop in user engagement on Yahoo services.
Speaking at an event for Yahoo investors, Bartz said Yahoo Mail's user engagement had been "a bit flat" and that a revamping of the webmail service was in the works. "The big dog of engagement is mail," Bartz said then.
In terms of average minutes per visitor, Yahoo's user engagement fell between January 2009, when users spent an average of 336.4 minutes on Yahoo properties, and April 2010, when that had shrunk to 247.9 minutes, according to comScore.
Now, the 273 million Yahoo Mail users will get a chance to try out the beta upgrade by going to http://features.mail.yahoo.com and clicking on the "Try It Now" link.
The new version has been designed to be faster, especially for people logging in from mobile devices and with slow Internet connections.
Integration with Twitter and Facebook will allow users to view status updates from those social networking services within the Yahoo Mail interface, as well as publish posts.
Yahoo Mail Beta also makes it possible to view photos and video from sites like Yahoo's Flickr and Google's Picasa and YouTube within the webmail service's inbox pane.
The spam detection and the e-mail search functionality have also been improved.
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!