IDG News Service - IBM is rolling out a major new update to its Cognos BI (business intelligence) platform that includes new features for collaboration, statistical analysis and mobile devices like the Apple iPad.
"BI workspaces" are a central pillar of Cognos 10, which will be available Oct. 30, IBM said Monday during the Information on Demand conference in Las Vegas. They will allow users to access a variety of BI tools from a unified interface that can be tweaked to their liking. The idea is to let users progress from simple tasks to more advanced ones without having to change application contexts, said Mychelle Mollot, vice president of business analytics.
Big Blue is also adding a dose of social networking and collaboration to Cognos 10 by embedding its Lotus Connections software. This will allow users to engage in conversations about business information and get more value out of the software, according to IBM.
Another new feature called "active reports" allows users to receive interactive reports via e-mail, without needing to install software. "They can interact with it and make decisions on the road, versus having to get back to the office or worse, open a long PDF file that's not interactive," Mollot said. Companies can easily blast the reports en masse to workers, she added.
Another new Cognos 10 feature is a statistics engine from IBM's SPSS software. The engine is now part of Cognos' report-authoring capabilities, allowing users to gain insights from historical data.
In addition, IBM announced Cognos support for Apple iPhones and iPads, as well as BlackBerry devices, Symbian phones and Windows Mobile devices.
Cognos 10 is impressive for its "sheer breadth of offerings," although not all of the features break new ground, said Forrester Research analyst Boris Evelson.
The active-reports feature holds particular value, he said. "We constantly talk about BI on mobile devices. What's much more useful is an offline or disconnected mode on my laptop. On mobile devices, I can look things up but can't do a lot of work." Information Builders and Oracle have had similar technologies for some time, he added.
Meanwhile, the BI workspaces in Cognos 10 are "definitely a step in the right direction," but IBM has room to evolve the concept further, Evelson said.
It's unclear how meaningful the addition of Lotus Connections will be, at least for now, according to Evelson.
The question is whether Lotus can gain significant market share against Microsoft Office, he said. "When and if that happens, the Cognos integration will become very important."
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts