Facebook sues Faceporn, claiming trademark infringement
IDG News Service - Facebook has sued Faceporn.com, claiming the porn site essentially copied Facebook to build an X-rated social network.
Until recently, Faceporn billed itself as "the number one socializing porn and sex network," offering a range of pornographic content. However, according to its Twitter account, the site has been down since Wednesday. It now says it's offline for a redesign. "We're currently working to launch a completely new version of the site, and it will be the best porn site the world has ever seen," Faceporn says on its front page.
The lawsuit was filed on Oct. 15 in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
Facebook has gone to court before to prevent social-networking sites from using elements that it considers to be Facebook's property, including the words "book" and "face." In August, the company sued a startup called TeachBook, claiming that its use of the word "book" violated Facebook's trademark. Teachbook doesn't look much like Facebook, but it does give teachers a way to network online.
Critics have said that Facebook is reaching too far, essentially claiming ownership of common English words.
According to Facebook's court filings, however, Faceporn "blatantly copied the Facebook logo, site and Wall trademark." Screen shots filed with the lawsuit show some Facebook-like elements, including Wall postings and a similar blue-and-white color scheme. Instead of poking, Faceporn users can apparently "send a flirt," according to the screen shots.
Neither Faceporn nor its operator, Thomas Pedersen, could be reached for comment on this story.
Facebook asks the court to order Faceporn to hand over its Web domain and all revenue to Facebook.
"We don't believe Faceporn should be able to trade on our name and dilute and tarnish our brand while doing so," Facebook spokesman Simon Axten said Friday via e-mail. "Where there is brand tarnishment, dilution, or confusion as there is with Faceporn and Facebook, we must enforce our rights to protect the integrity of our trademark."
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Mitigating DDoS Attacks with F5 Technology
- This document examines various DDoS attack methods and the application of specific ADC technologies to block attacks in the DDoS threat spectrum while...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum
- Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Defending Against Denial of Service Attacks
- By utilizing end-user interviews, this whitepaper explores a deeper understanding of DDoS defense plans and reveals the knowledge gaps around the Denial of...
- Strategic Solutions for Government IT
- This paper outlines why F5 is the optimum partner to help achieve the levels of security, performance and availability that are vital to...
- Leveraging Managed Security Services to Fight Growing Cybersecurity Threats
- IT Infrastructure-as-a-Service enables agile responses to constantly changing threats. All Government IT White Papers
- Modernizing SAP environments with minimum risk - a path to Big Data Hear from top IDC analyst, Richard Villars, about the path you can start taking now to enable your organization to get the benefits...
- The Power of the Citrix Mobility Solution, XenMobile Does everything become a smartphone? Or does the smartphone begin to do everything? How can we afford to support BYOD? Rather, how can...
- BYOD Happens: How to Secure Mobility How to navigate the journey of securing mobility, including the BYOD corruption of IT, the top ten mobility strategies, and the mobility management...
- HR and Finance Were made for Each Other View now >>
- The Value of Human Capital for Finance Professionals View now >>
- All Government IT Webcasts
Does your organization offer extensive benefits, cool perks, competitive salaries, opportunities for training and advancement? Then get it recognized!
Nominate your company or another deserving organization for Computerworld's 2014 Best Places to Work in IT list now through Dec. 12, 2013.