IDG News Service - Dell will push Google's Android 2.2 OS to its Streak handheld devices in a matter of "weeks," a company executive said this week.
The company in August started shipping the Streak handheld -- which has a 5-inch screen and smartphone features for users to make calls -- with Android 1.6, which was considered outdated at the time and attracted criticism from users.
The company will start shipping Streaks with Android 2.2 very soon, and the OS will be pushed down to existing users as an upgrade in a matter of weeks, said Steve Felice, president of the Global Consumer, Small and Medium Business division.
"We wanted to get the product to market, we weren't ready for 2.2, so we went ahead," Felice said. "Maybe we should have waited. But we're getting caught up now."
The company this week showed off a Streak with Android 2.2, which is code-named Froyo. Felice was also carrying a updated Streak with Froyo and said "it's great."
Dell has built a new user interface called "Stage" into Android 2.2 for Streak, which will make it easier for users to spot applications, movies, books and other content on the device. Like on PCs, users will be able to scroll sideways through the content.
The company did not provide full information on which countries would initially get the upgrades. Some Streaks in the U.K. have already been upgraded to Android 2.1.
A larger number of smartphones are getting Android 2.2 upgrades. Last week, T-Mobile and Google started sending over-the-air Android 2.2 upgrades for HTC's year-old MyTouch 3G smartphones in the U.S.
Dell classifies the Streak as a "tablet," but the company is also pushing the Android 2.2 to smartphones with smaller screen. The company showed off a smartphone identical to its Dell Venue Pro, and the new phone included the Android 2.2 OS, a 4.1-inch screen, but no keyboard. Dell showed the Venue Pro smartphone last week, which includes the Windows Phone 7 OS, but which had a pop-out QWERTY keyboard.
The company did not announce a release date for the smartphones.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
As emerging technologies evolve they often find an initial niche in highly specialized scenarios, or in specific industry verticals, before expanding to wider areas of applicability. Within these initial niches, the early adopters can be anything from digital enthusiasts to fashionistas, or they can be folks simply using the technology because it serves a specific need extremely well. (free registration required) more