Computerworld - Computerworld's third annual Top Green-IT Organizations awards showcase the achievements at 12 IT departments that are reducing power demands and using technology to create energy efficiencies.
The top 12 were chosen from a group of nearly 100 applicants, each striving to find new ways to reduce energy consumption of their IT equipment and use technology to conserve energy.
Being a green-IT innovator isn't easy. Several of the organizations named to this year's list have helped lead the green-IT movement for years. They've plucked the low-hanging fruit of videoconferencing and printer management and are stretching toward more challenging projects, like the large-scale data center migration at Northrop Grumman, or the effort at Citigroup to relocate network switches to reduce the use of copper and cut power consumption by as much as 50%.
And even with these individual achievements, moving green-IT forward is a collective effort. George Washington University, for example, is putting out the challenge to other universities to take on green-IT initiatives. As the knowledge spreads, more organizations will join with these elite 12.
Read their stories to find ways for your organization to conserve energy, and save money. And take our online quiz to test your organization's green progress, and get tips for improving energy efficiencies from the top 12.
Plus, new this year, Computerworld teamed up with sister publication Network World to identify the top organizations leading the way with green-IT efforts, as well as the coolest green-IT products in use. Check out its picks for the best green tools.
2010 Top Green-IT Organizations
Top Green-IT Users
- PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP
- Citigroup Inc.
- State Street Corp.
- Earth Rangers
- State of Indiana
- Allstate Insurance Co.
- George Washington University
- Pacific Gas & Electric Co.
- Union Pacific Railroad Co.
- Baker Hughes Inc.
- Northrop Grumman Corp.
- Marriott International Inc.
Top Green-IT Vendors
- Fujitsu Ltd.
- Dell Inc.
- NetApp Inc.
- Verizon Wireless
- Intel Corp.
- Hewlett-Packard Co.
- Qualcomm Inc.
- Accenture PLC
- Terremark Worldwide Inc.
- Microsoft Corp.
- Symantec Corp.
- Affordable Internet Services Online Inc. (AISO)
More on Top Green-IT
Read more about Data Center in Computerworld's Data Center Topic Center.
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Rethinking IT Operations in the Cloud This paper breaks down the challenges that often prevent the cloud from delivering the fast, flexible and affordable infrastructure companies seek - and...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Cloud-Enabled Managed Hosting, North America Cloud-enabled managed hosting brings cloudlike consumption and provisioning attributes to the traditional managed hosting market
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!