Microsoft takes cloud fight to Google
Google and Microsoft are scrapping to get their office apps into the enterprise cloud
Computerworld - The game is on.
Microsoft officially took its ubiquitous Office suite to the cloud this week with Office 365. And that, say industry watchers, is not good news for rival Google, which has been trying to capture the enterprise with its own offerings of cloud-based office apps.
"This is not a great day for Google," said Dan Olds, an analyst at Gabriel Consulting Group. "Microsoft, when it comes to office productivity applications, isn't only an 800-pound gorilla, it's a zoo worth of 800-pound gorillas. They are the standard."
Last year, Google began a concerted effort to push its cloud-based Google Apps into the lucrative enterprise market, taking on Microsoft and its popular desktop applications.
With Microsoft slower to get to the cloud, Google had a head start. Dave Girouard, president of Google's enterprise division, told Computerworld earlier this year that Microsoft was simply too far behind Google to catch up.
However, now that Microsoft is officially in the game, that advantage might not be so clear.
"Yes, Google's office apps have been out there longer," Olds said. "They definitely have users -- and a fairly decent number of users -- but not a lot of noticeable revenue from it.... And there's no such thing as an insurmountable lead on the Net."
"I think the other thing is that Microsoft will bring a full load of features and a more mature and integrated set of offerings that people already know and understand," Olds said. "That will be big in their favor."
This isn't Microsoft's first cloud-based app offering. It's more of a bundling move.
Microsoft took the wraps off its Office 365 suite of applications on Tuesday, adding long-awaited, Web-based versions of its ubiquitous Office applications to what had been a rather little-noticed collection of hosted business software.
And with Microsoft throwing its full weight into the cloud arena, analysts say that this just might be the beginning of an interesting battle between two companies that already duke it out over search engines, operating systems and browsers.
- Chicago's CIO doesn't believe in 'good enough'
- Microsoft Office 2013 fires shot at Google's enterprise push
- Google gives Google Docs offline capabilities
- Office 365 off-limits to existing BPOS customers
- Update: Microsoft Office 365 goes live
- Wyoming cuts cable, moves to cloud with Google Apps
- Microsoft takes cloud fight to Google
- Microsoft Office 365: Guide to a slew of versions, prices
- Update: Microsoft makes big cloud move with Office 365
- Google rolls out Apps for Government
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts