Galaxy Tab on sale Nov. 11 at Verizon for $600
Data plan starts at $20 a month for 1GB
Computerworld - Verizon Wireless will put the 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab running Android 2.2 on sale Nov. 11 for $599.99, the carrier said today.
Verizon customers will be able to pay for a monthly wireless access plan starting at $20 a month for 1GB of data access for the Galaxy Tab. Other information on pricing was not available. The device comes with 3G + WiFi connectivity.
All four major U.S. carriers earlier announced plans to sell the tablet, but details on when the other three will sell them were not immediately available.
Verizon revealed a few more specifications on the device, which it showed to reporters this week at 4G World in Chicago. The device is 4.7 x 7.4 x .45 inches and includes a 3 megapixel camera, plus a second 1.3 megapixel camera to enable video chat.
Verizon's announcement on the monthly data pricing starting at $20 a month for 1GB is similar to the pricing it announced for the upcoming Oct. 28 sale of the iPad with a MiFi bundle.
With the iPad, however, Verizon is selling the Wi-Fi version only and adding a MiFi mobile hotspot device.
The Galaxy Tab sale appears to cover Verizon's 3G cellular costs over Verizon's CDMA network (with internal CDMA access), but additional details were not immediately available. Verizon could be offering higher tiers of service, since it is making the iPad with MiFi bundle available for $20 for 1GB, or $35 for 3GB and $50 for 5GB.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- AIIM Trendscape: The New Mobile Reality This AIIM Trendscape report shares data, expert opinions, and a unique perspective on the impact of cloud and mobility in the enterprise, surfacing...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts