Galaxy Tab on sale Nov. 11 at Verizon for $600
Data plan starts at $20 a month for 1GB
Computerworld - Verizon Wireless will put the 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab running Android 2.2 on sale Nov. 11 for $599.99, the carrier said today.
Verizon customers will be able to pay for a monthly wireless access plan starting at $20 a month for 1GB of data access for the Galaxy Tab. Other information on pricing was not available. The device comes with 3G + WiFi connectivity.
All four major U.S. carriers earlier announced plans to sell the tablet, but details on when the other three will sell them were not immediately available.
Verizon revealed a few more specifications on the device, which it showed to reporters this week at 4G World in Chicago. The device is 4.7 x 7.4 x .45 inches and includes a 3 megapixel camera, plus a second 1.3 megapixel camera to enable video chat.
Verizon's announcement on the monthly data pricing starting at $20 a month for 1GB is similar to the pricing it announced for the upcoming Oct. 28 sale of the iPad with a MiFi bundle.
With the iPad, however, Verizon is selling the Wi-Fi version only and adding a MiFi mobile hotspot device.
The Galaxy Tab sale appears to cover Verizon's 3G cellular costs over Verizon's CDMA network (with internal CDMA access), but additional details were not immediately available. Verizon could be offering higher tiers of service, since it is making the iPad with MiFi bundle available for $20 for 1GB, or $35 for 3GB and $50 for 5GB.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!