Galaxy Tab on sale Nov. 11 at Verizon for $600
Data plan starts at $20 a month for 1GB
Computerworld - Verizon Wireless will put the 7-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab running Android 2.2 on sale Nov. 11 for $599.99, the carrier said today.
Verizon customers will be able to pay for a monthly wireless access plan starting at $20 a month for 1GB of data access for the Galaxy Tab. Other information on pricing was not available. The device comes with 3G + WiFi connectivity.
All four major U.S. carriers earlier announced plans to sell the tablet, but details on when the other three will sell them were not immediately available.
Verizon revealed a few more specifications on the device, which it showed to reporters this week at 4G World in Chicago. The device is 4.7 x 7.4 x .45 inches and includes a 3 megapixel camera, plus a second 1.3 megapixel camera to enable video chat.
Verizon's announcement on the monthly data pricing starting at $20 a month for 1GB is similar to the pricing it announced for the upcoming Oct. 28 sale of the iPad with a MiFi bundle.
With the iPad, however, Verizon is selling the Wi-Fi version only and adding a MiFi mobile hotspot device.
The Galaxy Tab sale appears to cover Verizon's 3G cellular costs over Verizon's CDMA network (with internal CDMA access), but additional details were not immediately available. Verizon could be offering higher tiers of service, since it is making the iPad with MiFi bundle available for $20 for 1GB, or $35 for 3GB and $50 for 5GB.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts