Facebook apps leak personal data to third parties
PC Advisor - A number of Facebook apps have been providing advertisers with information that make social networking users easily identifiable, according to an investigation by the Wall Street Journal.
All 10 of Facebook's most popular apps, including Farmville and Texas HoldEm Poker, are among those leaking the unique 'Facebook ID' number to outside firms.
Every Facebook number is individual and assigned to every profile. Searching for the number will provide access to the Facebook user's profile and anyone can view the information a user has chosen to share with 'everyone'. This can include their name, date of birth and even photos.
Farmville, which has 59 million users, also passes this information about a user's friends.
The WSJ said at least 25 firms were being sent the Facebook IDs, which they were using to build profiles of web users, and in some cases, even track their web browsing. It's not known if the developers knew their apps were leaking data.
Millions of Facebook users have been affected, even those that use the social network's strongest privacy settings. It also breaks Facebook's rules concerning privacy, which state app developers can not pass on users' data to outside firms, even if the user has given permission.
Facebook admitted a user's ID "may be inadvertently shared by a user's internet browser or by an application" but it "does not permit access to anyone's private information on Facebook".
Third-party developers are usually responsible for developing the apps. Facebook stopped users accessing several apps thought to have been leaking personal data.
"We have taken immediate action to disable all applications that violate our terms," Facebook said.
The WSJ named RapLeaf as one of the developers using the Facebook IDs in its own database as well as passing them onto to several other firms.
"We didn't do it on purpose," Joel Jewitt, vice president of business development for RapLeaf, told the WSJ.
Facebook said it plans to introduce new technology that will stop the problem.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts