MarkMonitor to buy Danish provider of antipiracy services
IDG News Service - MarkMonitor has acquired the Danish company DtecNet, an antipiracy tracking company, the companies said Monday.
MarkMonitor offers companies ways to track how their brand is being used -- or in many cases, abused -- online. It offers alerts when people have registered Internet domain names that seek to trick people into believing they've landed on a website belonging to another brand.
MarkMonitor was already a partner with DtecNet, which specializes in detecting content under copyright that is being illegally shared on file-sharing networks such as eMule. Its software can be used to track the distribution of pre-release content, and it has an automated system to send out cease-and-desist letters.
The Irish Recorded Music Association has employed DtecNet to detect illegal file sharing by subscribers of the Irish ISP Eircom. DtecNet provides lists of IP (Internet Protocol) addresses of suspected illegal file sharers.
Eircom was sued by IRMA, a trade association composed of record labels such as EMI, Sony, Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group, which sought to force the ISP to install traffic-monitoring equipment. The two sides reached an out-of-court agreement whereby Eircom would suspend or cut off Internet access to those accused of file sharing up to three times.
Terms of the MarkMonitor's acquisition of DtecNet were not disclosed. DtecNet's founder and CEO, Thomas Sehested, will become a senior vice president for DtecNet's European operations. DtecNet has a development team in Denmark and an operations center in Vilnius, Lithuania.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
This state transportation department uses computer science students from a local university as programming interns, and everyone is happy with the arrangement -- until one intern learns how to bring down the mainframe.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
- This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Path Selection Infographic
- Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic
- A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era
- From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs
- If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity... All Government IT White Papers
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and...
- All Government IT Webcasts