Indian offshoring giant Infosys boosting U.S. hiring
Seeking workers with consulting, project skills
Computerworld - Infosys Technologies says it will hire 1,000 U.S. workers to increase its ability to provide consulting and management services to its clients, an area of increasing importance for the India-based offshoring giant.
Infosys on Friday reported $1.5 billion in revenue for the quarter, an increase of nearly 30% from the same quarter last year. North America accounts for nearly 66% of its revenue.
Ashok Vemuri, SVP and global head of banking and capital markets, said that most of the growth is from existing clients, although it added 13 new accounts in the American market in the most recent quarter, including two Fortune 500 firms.
Vemuri said businesses have a backlog of projects and are now making "a release of dollars, if you will," to move the projects ahead.
But Vemuri told Computerworld that the company's revenue gains were related to customer acceptance of its increasing capabilities beyond application support and maintenance to management consulting, process and project management and product development.
The company has somewhere in the range of 14,000 to 15,000 workers in the U.S., but it does not break out the number of workers in this total by either citizens and permanent residents or those on a temporary work visa. Infosys is one of the largest users of H-1B visas.
Infosys operates on a model whereby roughly 30% of the client services are delivered on-site and the balance offshore. The goal of hiring 1,000 U.S. workers was set at the start of the fiscal year in April.
Specifically, the company is seeking people with architectural skills, as well as program managers, those with experience in large application migrations, cloud development and product development, said Vemuri.
Infosys employs about 122,500 worldwide. It increased its workforce by 7,650 employers in the most revenue quarter.
Offshore firms may have to increase U.S. hiring if Congress approves a so-called 50-50 rule, which would limit the number of workers on H-1B or L-1 visas to half of a firm's total U.S. head count.
Patrick Thibodeau covers SaaS and enterprise applications, outsourcing, government IT policies, data centers and IT workforce issues for Computerworld. Follow Patrick on Twitter at @DCgov or subscribe to Patrick's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about IT Outsourcing in Computerworld's IT Outsourcing Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts