IDG News Service - Forrester Research is now predicting U.S. IT spending will grow 8.1% this year, a slight drop from the analyst firm's July prediction of a 9.9% uptick, according to a new report released Friday.
The firm lowered its forecast based on weaker-than-expected U.S. economic data in the second quarter and revised figures from the U.S. Department of Commerce, states the report by analysts Andrew Bartels, Christopher Mines and Chétina Muteba.
U.S. computer equipment sales are especially strong this year, with spending set to rise 19%. Software sales will jump 9.1%, with PC operating systems, application servers and enterprise process applications posting particularly healthy gains of 22.3%, 12.6% and 10.8%, respectively.
Forrester has predicted IT spending would rebound strongly this year and next due to improving macroeconomic conditions and a fresh wave of technology innovation. "The latter remains very much in place, but the former has taken some knocks," the report states.
The revised U.S. figures have brought down Forrester's global estimate of 2010 IT spending to 7% from 7.8%. Global IT spending will also grow 7% in 2011, with U.S. spending jumping 7.4%, according to the report.
The report also adds a caveat to the "still-robust" figures, noting that the "much-maligned economic stimulus program of President Obama undoubtedly contributed to these growth rates."
In a May 2009 report, Forrester estimated that stimulus spending would generate some $27 billion in revenue for vendors during that year and 2010, with two-thirds arriving in 2010.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris's e-mail address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts