Twitter aiming high: 1 billion users
Analyst says as e-mail becomes 'old people tool,' younger users will turn to Twitter
Computerworld - Watch out, Facebook. Twitter is setting its sights on you and your huge lead in the social networking business.
Evan Williams, a Twitter co-founder who recently stepped down as CEO, said this week that he expects the microblogging site, which currently has about 165 million members, to hit 1 billion users. Of course he took some of the pressure off of the company by not saying when he expects it will hit that lofty milestone.
Speaking on Monday at the at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco, Williams said that hitting the billion-user mark is inevitable for Twitter.
Meanwhile, social networking rival Facebook has better odds of reaching that goal in the not-so-distant future.
In July, Facebook announced that it had passed the half-billion-user milestone.
Zeus Kerravala, an analyst at Yankee Group Research, said Williams has set a lofty goal for Twitter, but he noted that the company does have a chance to meet it.
"A billion does seem a bit aggressive," said Kerravala. "But I do think, over time, social networking will overtake e-mail as the most popular communication tool. In that light, 1 billion isn't out of reach. Younger people will choose Twitter and Facebook over e-mail."
E-mail, according to Kerravala, is so, well, yesterday, while Twitter is more like a modern, digital fire hose.
"Over the next five years, as high school kids go to college and college kids enter the workforce, we'll see a rapid shift away from 'old people' communication tools like e-mail and the phone," he added. "Twitter allows you to reach out to thousands of people at once."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Twitter's slipping user growth spooks investors
- Get ready to tweet your questions for Twitter's first earnings call
- Super Bowl sets Twitter record, as Volkswagen launches social war room
- Perspective: Twitter's success opens up IPO pipeline
- Update: Twitter goes public at $45 a share
- With IPO cash influx, Twitter could be bigger threat to Facebook
- Ahead of IPO, Twitter shines up multimedia image
- Twitter kicks off pre-IPO investor roadshow
- As its IPO looms, Twitter faces investor grilling
- Twitter experiments with 'Event Parrot' -- a news delivery service
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Riverbed Stingray Application Firewall: Securing Cloud Applications with a Distributed Web Application Firewall Responsibility over IT security is moving away from the network and IT infrastructure and to the application and software architecture itself. IT organizations...
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts