Google stays strong as Yahoo slips in search market
Bing-powered search sites still no match for Google and its 72% share
Computerworld - Google had a good month in September, with its search share gaining and rivals Yahoo and Microsoft Bing taking a hit.
Microsoft Bing, which is Google's biggest rival, didn't have such a great month in September, though.
Hitwise reported Friday that Bing-powered search sites handled 23.64% of U.S. searches for the month, with Yahoo grabbing 13.54% and Bing itself pulling in 10.10%. Bing-powered search sites are down 2% overall, while Yahoo is down 5%. Bing itself went up 2%.
Microsoft and Yahoo announced in August that Bing is fueling Yahoo search results in the U.S. and Canada. The search integration came more than a year after both companies announced they were joining forces to better take on Google -- since neither company had made any headway on its own.
The latest Hitwise report shows that Yahoo suffered after integration, while Bing saw only a small bump.
"It's a pretty small slip and only based on a month's worth of data," said Dan Olds, an analyst at Gabriel Consulting Group. "I'm sure that these aren't the results that Bing marketers are looking for... but the holiday season might be key for them. Search engines receive a real workout with all of the holiday shopping, travel planning and the like. It will be interesting to see how Bing fares over the next three months or so."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yahoo can't stall Bing rollout in Taiwan, Hong Kong
- Google keeps Bing, Yahoo at bay in search business
- Google updates Google Now, makes it more prominent on phones
- Yahoo to focus on search -- and Google
- Microsoft's Bing counters Google with Yelp partnership
- Mozilla dumps Yandex as default search for Russian Firefox
- Google aims to make search smarter, easier
- Microsoft Bing goes social in search war with Google
- Facebook tries to out-Google Google with new search tool
- Google, Microsoft each seek search 'game changer'
Read more about Internet Search in Computerworld's Internet Search Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Internet Search White Papers | Webcasts