IDG News Service - Bypassing a number of commercial portal packages, eBay has started using the Joomla open-source content management software as a framework to provide its employees with analytic tools, the online auction company said.
The Joomla Web framework will be used to stage a set of internal analysis tools for the company's 16,400 employees. The company claims that it runs the largest commercial data warehouse in the world, and this software will provide a base for a set of eBay-built extensions to analyze some of this data.
"eBay has always made it a key priority to encourage employees to collaborate and drive business innovation," said Bob Page, eBay analytics platform vice president, in a statement. "We are working with the open source community to elevate insightful ideas and innovations across our company, from our greatest resources, our employees."
Employees will also be able to start discussions and create documents within the analytics tool.
Joomla is an open source portal and content management system, one with ease-of-use features that makes it ideal for smaller organizations with little IT support, said Ryan Ozimek, president of Open Source Matters, a not-for-profit organization coordinating Joomla project.
Departments within Citibank, General Electric, Harvard University, the International House of Pancakes, and MTV all use Joomla. Large organizations are increasingly contributing to the project as well, Ozimek said. For instance, Microsoft has contributed code, which is licensed under the GPL, in order to have it work with the company's SQL Server software.
Gartner has estimated that the market for Web content management systems will grow to a more than $1 billion business next year.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts