IDG News Service - Bypassing a number of commercial portal packages, eBay has started using the Joomla open-source content management software as a framework to provide its employees with analytic tools, the online auction company said.
The Joomla Web framework will be used to stage a set of internal analysis tools for the company's 16,400 employees. The company claims that it runs the largest commercial data warehouse in the world, and this software will provide a base for a set of eBay-built extensions to analyze some of this data.
"eBay has always made it a key priority to encourage employees to collaborate and drive business innovation," said Bob Page, eBay analytics platform vice president, in a statement. "We are working with the open source community to elevate insightful ideas and innovations across our company, from our greatest resources, our employees."
Employees will also be able to start discussions and create documents within the analytics tool.
Joomla is an open source portal and content management system, one with ease-of-use features that makes it ideal for smaller organizations with little IT support, said Ryan Ozimek, president of Open Source Matters, a not-for-profit organization coordinating Joomla project.
Departments within Citibank, General Electric, Harvard University, the International House of Pancakes, and MTV all use Joomla. Large organizations are increasingly contributing to the project as well, Ozimek said. For instance, Microsoft has contributed code, which is licensed under the GPL, in order to have it work with the company's SQL Server software.
Gartner has estimated that the market for Web content management systems will grow to a more than $1 billion business next year.
- How Four Citrix Customers Solved the Enterprise Mobility Challenge Managing mobile devices, data and all types of apps-Windows, datacenter, web and native mobile- through a single solution.
- 8 Steps to Fill the Mobile Enterprise Application Gap Traveling executives and Millennials alike expect to communicate, collaborate and access their important work applications and data from anywhere on whatever device they...
- Seattle Children's Accelerates Citrix Login Times by 500% with Cross-Tier Insight Seattle Children's is a leading research hospital with a large and growing Citrix XenDesktop deployment. With ExtraHop, the IT team at Seattle Children's...
- McKesson Makes Application Hosting for Hospitals Faster, More Efficient With ExtraHop, McKesson identified the root cause of slow Citrix XenApp application launches and adopted a more intelligent, proactive IT operations model that...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Applications White Papers | Webcasts