Microsoft acquires AVIcode to boost .NET management
IDG News Service - Microsoft has acquired AVIcode, a private Baltimore-based company that offers application monitoring for the .NET Framework, the companies announced Wednesday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Microsoft expects the AVIcode's software will offer customers tools to better monitor their cloud-based .NET applications, according to a blog posting from Brad Anderson, a corporate vice president for Microsoft's management and security division
The company, founded in 1998, will retain its name, becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft. The software will be offered through Microsoft's System Center line of software.
Microsoft has already been using AVIcode's software in its own data centers for some time, Anderson explained. The XBox Live service management team used the software to view all the transaction times of all the components, as a way of spotting outages and slow performance.
"As applications continue to leverage Web 2.0 technologies like Silverlight and become ever-more distributed, and as the user audience for these applications also becomes more distributed, multiple points of failure are introduced into the application environment. Discovering, diagnosing and triaging failures at the moment they occur is challenging at best, painfully time-consuming and resource intensive at worst," explained Mike Curreri, CEO of AVIcode, in a blog post.
AVIcode's software allows organizations to monitor transactions and understand how well individual bits of hardware and software are supporting these transactions. Such information can then be used to more quickly diagnose problems. The software is already integrated with Microsoft's System Center Operations Manager software.
"Bringing together the capabilities of Operations Manager with the enhancements from AVIcode enables organizations to truly get the 360-degree view of their service--independent of where the service is hosted," Anderson writes.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts