Android most popular in recent sales, but third in overall share
"Among all smartphone owners, Blackberry still holds the dominant share with 31% of the market, though its lead over Apple is declining," Nielsen continued in a report issued Tuesday. "Twenty-eight percent of smartphone owners have Apple iPhones, compared to 19% who have Android devices."
Android's surge in 2010 has been impressive. In January, only 14% of recent acquirers were choosing Android. Now that number is 32%.
Meanwhile, the share of recent acquirers who chose BlackBerry has dropped from 34% to 25%, and the share of recent acquirers who chose the iPhone dropped from 32% to 26%.
In terms of overall market share, BlackBerry has dropped from 36% to 31% since January, and the iPhone has dropped only slightly from 29% to 28%.
Android's surge is therefore taking a bigger chunk of market share away from BlackBerry than it is from Apple. Android's total market share has more than doubled since January, moving from 8% to 19%.
Nielsen's report is just the latest in a string that shows Android is on pace to become the industry's most popular smartphone platform.
Android has matched the iPhone in overall consumer interest, according to ChangeWave. ChangeWave also surveyed corporate IT buyers, and found that while BlackBerry still dominates in the business world, the proportion of IT departments providing Android has jumped from 3% to 16% since November.
Gartner has reported that Android will surpass BlackBerry and Apple's iPhone in all of 2010, potentially making it the best-selling platform worldwide behind Nokia's Symbian, which is widely used overseas.
Follow Jon Brodkin on Twitter: www.twitter.com/jbrodkin
Read more about anti-malware in Network World's Anti-malware section.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization WAN optimization has evolved into a complete system that optimizes traffic across a broad range of most popular applications while providing deep visibility...
- SharePlan Security SharePlan is a continuous, secure, enterprise-ready file sync and share platform that facilitates smart, real-time collaboration across all devices.
- Three Ways Your DNS Can Impact DDoS Attacks Domain Name System (DNS) plays a big role in consumers' day-to-day Internet usage and is a critical factor when it comes to distributed...
- Online Video and Web Traffic: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games Over 25 leading global broadcasters worked with Akamai to deliver the action, excitement and inspiration of Sochi because they understand online viewers expect...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts