Android most popular in recent sales, but third in overall share
"Among all smartphone owners, Blackberry still holds the dominant share with 31% of the market, though its lead over Apple is declining," Nielsen continued in a report issued Tuesday. "Twenty-eight percent of smartphone owners have Apple iPhones, compared to 19% who have Android devices."
Android's surge in 2010 has been impressive. In January, only 14% of recent acquirers were choosing Android. Now that number is 32%.
Meanwhile, the share of recent acquirers who chose BlackBerry has dropped from 34% to 25%, and the share of recent acquirers who chose the iPhone dropped from 32% to 26%.
In terms of overall market share, BlackBerry has dropped from 36% to 31% since January, and the iPhone has dropped only slightly from 29% to 28%.
Android's surge is therefore taking a bigger chunk of market share away from BlackBerry than it is from Apple. Android's total market share has more than doubled since January, moving from 8% to 19%.
Nielsen's report is just the latest in a string that shows Android is on pace to become the industry's most popular smartphone platform.
Android has matched the iPhone in overall consumer interest, according to ChangeWave. ChangeWave also surveyed corporate IT buyers, and found that while BlackBerry still dominates in the business world, the proportion of IT departments providing Android has jumped from 3% to 16% since November.
Gartner has reported that Android will surpass BlackBerry and Apple's iPhone in all of 2010, potentially making it the best-selling platform worldwide behind Nokia's Symbian, which is widely used overseas.
Follow Jon Brodkin on Twitter: www.twitter.com/jbrodkin
Read more about anti-malware in Network World's Anti-malware section.
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!