IDG News Service - Five advertising trade groups, including the Direct Marketing Association (DMA) and the Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB), have launched a new program that will label online advertisements that their members serve based on the Web-surfing habits of consumers.
The five groups on Monday launched AboutAds.info, which gives online advertisers and networks information about the new advertising option icon. The groups are pushing members to use the icon, which will be tied to an opt-out mechanism for targeted advertising, alongside online advertisements.
The action by the five groups comes as some members of the U.S. Congress have explored privacy legislation that would set rules for the collection of personal data by online advertisers. The U.S. Federal Trade Commission also issued revised guidelines for behavioral advertising in February 2009, and it is again looking at new standards.
Some privacy groups have called on Congress or the FTC to require online ad networks to get opt-in permission from consumers before collecting information to be used for targeted advertising, but the new advertising icon would add another way for consumers to opt out.
Online advertising groups have taken several steps in the past to self-regulate, with the Network Advertising Initiative, for example, offering an opt-out cookie for targeted ads across its members' networks. The new icon is in line with the report, Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising, which the online ad industry released in July 2009.
The new icon builds on "DMA's long-standing commitment to consumer choice and its history of effective self-regulation across all marketing communications," Larry Kimmel, the CEO for DMA, said in a statement.
The NAI is already providing notice about targeted advertising on or near millions of ads each day, said Andrew Weinstein, an NAI spokesman. "This approach will ensure there is a consistency to the visual icon, messaging and opt-out process across all of the participants in the online advertising industry," he said. "There is a growing consensus among industry organizations that using a single icon will be easier for consumers to understand and use."
The groups are working with members of Congress and the FTC to address issues they have raised, Weinstein added. "We believe that this program fully responds to the FTC's call for more robust and effective self-regulation of interest-based advertising," he said.
A decade's worth of self-regulatory efforts by the online advertising industry have failed, said privacy advocate Jeffrey Chester, executive director of the Center for Digital Democracy. "This last-minute attempt to head off soon-to-be-released FTC privacy safeguards, as well as federal legislation, is too little, too late," he said. "The new websites created for this effort fail to inform consumers about how they are tracked, profiled and targeted online."
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance
- Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD
- If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics
- "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World
- Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local... All Government IT White Papers
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- Charting Your Analytical Future - "Making predictive analytics part of your business processes" Webinar This session will show how predictive analytics can be used throughout the organization by anyone looking for answers and how organizations can make...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- All Government IT Webcasts