IDG News Service - Eleven Eastern Europeans arrested earlier this week for their alleged involvement in a computer hacking and money laundering scheme were denied bail in the U.K. on Thursday.
The U.K. actions were mirrored in the U.S. where the Department of Justice said it had also made arrests in connection with the Zeus botnets.
District Judge Alan Baldwin of Camberwell Green Magistrates' Court in London said some of the defendants were flight risks. Their cases have been referred to Southwark Crown Court.
More serious criminal cases are referred to crown courts rather than held in magistrates' courts in the U.K.
The defendants include Yuriy Korovalenko, 28, of Ukraine; Yevhen Kulibaba, 32, of Ukraine; Aleksander Kusner, 27, of Estonia; Roman Zenyk, 29, of Ukraine; Eduard Babaryka, 26, of Belarus; Valerij Milka, 29, of Ukraine; Iryna Prakochyk, 23, of Ukraine; Ivars Poikans, 29, of Latvia; Kaspars Cliematnieks, 24, of Latvia; and Karina Kostromina, 33, from Latvia.
All have been charged with conspiracy to defraud. Eight were also charged with money laundering except for Valerij and Prakochyk.
An 11th defendant, Zurab Revazishvili, 34, of Georgia, was also denied bail in court on Thursday. He is scheduled to appear inWestminster Magistrates' Court on Oct. 28. Revazishvili is charged with violating the U.K.'s Identity Cards Act.
In addition to the 11 people who appeared in court, nine more were arrested but released on bail after raids conducted Tuesday by U.K. authorities.
The gang allegedly ran a money-laundering network from funds stolen over the last year or so from customers of banks including HSBC, RBS, Barclays and Lloyds, according to the U.K.'s Police Central e-Crime Unit. The money was stolen by infecting customers' PCs with Zeus, an advanced piece of malicious software used to transfer funds to their own accounts.
The group allegedly made £6 million ($9.5 million) in one three-month period by infecting PCs with a variant of the Zeus Trojan.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery
- Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery
- Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets
- Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014
- Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to... All Government IT White Papers
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- All Government IT Webcasts