IDG News Service - Eleven Eastern Europeans arrested earlier this week for their alleged involvement in a computer hacking and money laundering scheme were denied bail in the U.K. on Thursday.
The U.K. actions were mirrored in the U.S. where the Department of Justice said it had also made arrests in connection with the Zeus botnets.
District Judge Alan Baldwin of Camberwell Green Magistrates' Court in London said some of the defendants were flight risks. Their cases have been referred to Southwark Crown Court.
More serious criminal cases are referred to crown courts rather than held in magistrates' courts in the U.K.
The defendants include Yuriy Korovalenko, 28, of Ukraine; Yevhen Kulibaba, 32, of Ukraine; Aleksander Kusner, 27, of Estonia; Roman Zenyk, 29, of Ukraine; Eduard Babaryka, 26, of Belarus; Valerij Milka, 29, of Ukraine; Iryna Prakochyk, 23, of Ukraine; Ivars Poikans, 29, of Latvia; Kaspars Cliematnieks, 24, of Latvia; and Karina Kostromina, 33, from Latvia.
All have been charged with conspiracy to defraud. Eight were also charged with money laundering except for Valerij and Prakochyk.
An 11th defendant, Zurab Revazishvili, 34, of Georgia, was also denied bail in court on Thursday. He is scheduled to appear inWestminster Magistrates' Court on Oct. 28. Revazishvili is charged with violating the U.K.'s Identity Cards Act.
In addition to the 11 people who appeared in court, nine more were arrested but released on bail after raids conducted Tuesday by U.K. authorities.
The gang allegedly ran a money-laundering network from funds stolen over the last year or so from customers of banks including HSBC, RBS, Barclays and Lloyds, according to the U.K.'s Police Central e-Crime Unit. The money was stolen by infecting customers' PCs with Zeus, an advanced piece of malicious software used to transfer funds to their own accounts.
The group allegedly made £6 million ($9.5 million) in one three-month period by infecting PCs with a variant of the Zeus Trojan.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The 20 Best iPhone/iPad Games of 2013 So Far
- 9 Steps to Build Your Personal Brand (and Your Career)
- 7 Consumer Technologies Coming to an Enterprise Near You
- 11 Signs Your IT Project is Doomed
- A walking tour: 33 questions to ask about your company's security
- 15 social media scams
- The 7 elements of a successful security awareness program
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Federal IT Innovation Caught in a Catch-22
- Fed resources shoring up old infrastructure, holding back new technologies.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions
- Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts
- Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Proactive Planning for Big Data
- Big data is less about the terabytes and more about the query tools and business intelligence needed to make sense of massive amounts...
- Inquiry Spotlight: Consumer-Facing Identity
- The challenges of consumer-facing identity management, access management, and authentication differ in ways subtle and dramatic from those of the employee-facing variety. All Government IT White Papers
- Becoming An Analytics Driven Organization
- Join us on Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT and learn how your agency can create an analytics culture that will enable...
- 3 Reasons Why Sepaton is the World's Fastest Backup Solution
- Leading analyst, Storage Switzerland learns how Sepaton backs up and deduplicates massive data volumes while maintaining the industry's fastest performance - all in...
- Enterprise File Sharing: All You Need to Know
- Security. Scalability. Control. These are just some of the many benefits of enterprise cloud file-sharing that you'll discover in this KnowledgeVault, packed with...
- Bridging HTTP and FTP with FileXpress Internet Server
- What if you could take an FTP server on your internal network, and allow external users (partners or customers) to securely access it...
- MFT and FileXpress - An Overview
- Business users and applications exchange files on a regular basis. File transfer is a core part of the flow of business activity. All Government IT Webcasts