IDG News Service - Eleven Eastern Europeans arrested earlier this week for their alleged involvement in a computer hacking and money laundering scheme were denied bail in the U.K. on Thursday.
The U.K. actions were mirrored in the U.S. where the Department of Justice said it had also made arrests in connection with the Zeus botnets.
District Judge Alan Baldwin of Camberwell Green Magistrates' Court in London said some of the defendants were flight risks. Their cases have been referred to Southwark Crown Court.
More serious criminal cases are referred to crown courts rather than held in magistrates' courts in the U.K.
The defendants include Yuriy Korovalenko, 28, of Ukraine; Yevhen Kulibaba, 32, of Ukraine; Aleksander Kusner, 27, of Estonia; Roman Zenyk, 29, of Ukraine; Eduard Babaryka, 26, of Belarus; Valerij Milka, 29, of Ukraine; Iryna Prakochyk, 23, of Ukraine; Ivars Poikans, 29, of Latvia; Kaspars Cliematnieks, 24, of Latvia; and Karina Kostromina, 33, from Latvia.
All have been charged with conspiracy to defraud. Eight were also charged with money laundering except for Valerij and Prakochyk.
An 11th defendant, Zurab Revazishvili, 34, of Georgia, was also denied bail in court on Thursday. He is scheduled to appear inWestminster Magistrates' Court on Oct. 28. Revazishvili is charged with violating the U.K.'s Identity Cards Act.
In addition to the 11 people who appeared in court, nine more were arrested but released on bail after raids conducted Tuesday by U.K. authorities.
The gang allegedly ran a money-laundering network from funds stolen over the last year or so from customers of banks including HSBC, RBS, Barclays and Lloyds, according to the U.K.'s Police Central e-Crime Unit. The money was stolen by infecting customers' PCs with Zeus, an advanced piece of malicious software used to transfer funds to their own accounts.
The group allegedly made £6 million ($9.5 million) in one three-month period by infecting PCs with a variant of the Zeus Trojan.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce
- Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- Top 10 Reasons to Strengthen Information Security with Desktop Virtualization
- Regain control and reduce risk without sacrificing business productivity and growth
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment
- IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization
- A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire... All Government IT White Papers
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- All Government IT Webcasts