IDG News Service - U.K. police rounded up 19 people Tuesday in a pre-dawn raid targeting a criminal network using the Zeus banking trojan.
Police say that the gang made £6 million (US$9.5 million) in a three-month period by stealing passwords and login names from Windows computers and then using that information to set up unauthorized balance transfers to accounts controlled by the criminals.
"We believe we have disrupted a highly organised criminal network, which has used sophisticated methods to siphon large amounts of cash from many innocent peoples' accounts," said Detective Chief Inspector Terry Wilson, of London's Metropolitan Police Services, in a statement.
The Daily Mail posted photos of the raid, showing gang members being hauled away to jail. Charges have not yet been filed against those arrested but are expected soon, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said Wednesday.
There were 15 men and four women arrested in all. Their ages range between 23 and 47.
Zeus is a well-known Trojan horse program, thought to have infected millions of computers worldwide. Zeus comes in many variants, so while the U.K. arrests may be a blow against some of those responsible, they will not stop the malware from spreading.
As of Wednesday there were still more than 160 Zeus command-and-control servers in operation, according to Gary Warner, director of research in computer forensics with the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
"We don't think any of the people running any of the big Zeus networks are British," he said. He thinks that British authorities may have arrested a network of "money mules" -- people who specialized in removing money from U.K. banks and possibly customizing the Trojan to work in the country.
"The Zeus Trojan poses a sizeable threat to the safe use of the Internet and is being used increasingly by cyber-criminals worldwide - not simply those believed to be involved in this case," the Metropolitan Police said.
In the U.S., Zeus malware is notorious for stealing credentials belonging to small businesses and small organizations and then emptying hundreds of thousands of dollars in a matter of hours.
Thousands of PCs in the U.K. have been infected by Zeus, the Metropolitan Police said.
- 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report For the 7th year in a row, Riverbed is in the "Leaders" Quadrant of the 2014 Magic Quadrant for WAN Optimization Controllers. In...
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Riverbed Optimization System: Technical Overview View now>>
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts