IDG News Service - AOL has made two acquisitions to boost its content offerings, buying technology news blog TechCrunch and video syndication platform 5min Media.
The moves are in line with AOL CEO Tim Armstrong's strategy of turning AOL into a massive provider of original content as a way to boost user engagement and advertising sales.
TechCrunch, founded in 2005 by Michael Arrington with a focus on covering Web startups, will retain its editorial freedom and will co-exist and complement AOL's other technology blogs such as Engadget, the companies said Tuesday.
"I expect us to build a more significant tech content business overall with TechCrunch as one of the pillars, and immediately get as much TechCrunch content to a wider audience as possible," Armstrong said on stage at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco.
"Can I still say whatever I want? That's part of the deal, right?" Arrington asked.
"We want you to do whatever you've done so far that's made you successful. We will try to be as hands off as possible," Armstrong responded.
In addition to its San Francisco-based flagship TechCrunch.com site, TechCrunch publishes sites in Europe and Japan, and blogs focused on specific areas of the technology industry, like MobileCrunch and TechCrunchIT.
The 5min acquisition is intended to beef up AOL's online video offerings across its family of sites. 5min's video repository contains more than 200,000 videos from more than 1,000 media companies and video producers. Based in New York, 5min had more than 20 million unique viewers and streamed more than 130 million videos in the U.S. in August of this year.
AOL didn't disclose financial terms of the deals.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts