Ericsson to buy Nortel data business for $65 million
Network World - Ericsson will acquire Nortel's global multiservice switching assets for $65 million.
Multiservice switching was one of the last remaining assets to be sold by Nortel, which put its operations up for sale after failing to restructure as a viable entity under Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The assets include Nortel's Multiservice Switch – formerly Passport -- 6400, 7400 and 15000/20000 frame relay and ATM switches, and Services Edge Router product line.The Services Edge Router line was obtained from the acquisition of Shasta Networks in 1999. Nortel discontinued the product, however.
The deal also includes substantially all customer contracts and certain intellectual property related to the MSS business, Nortel says. "Substantially all" MSS employees will have the opportunity to continue their employment with Ericsson, including those in certain international jurisdictions who will transfer to Ericsson by law, Nortel said.
The sale is subject to relevant court and regulatory approvals, including Canadian and U.S. court approvals.
This is the fourth piece of Nortel that Ericsson has acquired. Others include the company's GSM, CDMA and LTE wireless businesses; and its stake in a joint venture with Korean electronics giant LG.
The assets were offered as a "stalking horse" bid after Nortel accepted an initial bid of $39 million for the business. And similar to previous asset sale arrangements, Nortel shareholders will not receive any value from the sale -- the proceedings will result in the cancellation of these equity interests, the company said.
Read more about lan and wan in Network World's LAN & WAN section.
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Defense throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle with Alert Logic Threat and Log Manager New security threats are emerging all the time, from new forms of malware and web application exploits that target code vulnerabilities to attacks...
- QA Automation: Reducing Test Execution While Improving Coverage A leading capital investment firm in the US was in need of a comprehensive, cost effective and flexible solution to reduce their existing...
- Protect your brand with Alert Logic PCI DSS compliance solutions Alert logic's cloud-powered solutions help organizations that process, store or transmit credit card data eliminate the burden of PCI compliance. This product brief...
- Expert Panel: Enterprise Mobility and Data Loss Prevention When it comes to enterprise mobility, it's not just about devices, it's about the way people work. Hear this expert panel discuss the...
- Princess Cruises collaborates across the globe in the IBM cloud Norm Ayers, Director of Emergency Response and Social Projects at Princess Cruises explains how IBM and Cloud helped the company rapidly scale its... All Management White Papers | Webcasts