Microsoft pulls plug on Live Spaces blog platform
IDG News Service - Microsoft has partnered with Wordpress to move the millions of blogs hosted on the Windows Live Spaces blog publishing platform, which will be closed, the companies announced Monday.
As of today, users who try to create a blog on Windows Live Spaces will be directed to Wordpress.com.
Windows Live Spaces publishers, of which there are about 30 million, will be able to transfer their blogs and accompanying photos, posts and comments to Automattic's Wordpress service using an import tool. Spaces URLs will be redirected automatically as well.
In addition, publishers will be able to tie the blogs they move to Wordpress to Microsoft's Messenger instant messaging service and automatically ping their Messenger contacts whenever the blog is updated.
Spaces publishers will have a six-month window to transfer their blogs over to Wordpress.
The announcement was made at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco.
Wordpress is the platform behind 26 million websites. More than 250 million people visit Wordpress-hosted sites every month, according to the companies.
As Microsoft bows out of the blog publishing and hosting market, Wordpress.com continues to face competition from several rivals, including Google's Blogger and from the various products and services developed by Six Apart, which was acquired last week by VideoEgg.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Improving Business Value of WAN Optimization Want to achieve faster ROI with WAN optimization? Read the latest IDC report and discover how you can cut IT costs without compromising...
- Four Little-Known Ways WAN Optimization Can Benefit Your Organization Read this white paper to learn how far WAN optimization has come, and how to make this most of your investments by using...
- IDC ROI Infographic Trends such as evolving communication patterns, connection types, applications and bandwidth can have an impact on enterprise organizations. Learn how IT organizations can...
- Live Webcast IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!