Microsoft pulls plug on Live Spaces blog platform
IDG News Service - Microsoft has partnered with Wordpress to move the millions of blogs hosted on the Windows Live Spaces blog publishing platform, which will be closed, the companies announced Monday.
As of today, users who try to create a blog on Windows Live Spaces will be directed to Wordpress.com.
Windows Live Spaces publishers, of which there are about 30 million, will be able to transfer their blogs and accompanying photos, posts and comments to Automattic's Wordpress service using an import tool. Spaces URLs will be redirected automatically as well.
In addition, publishers will be able to tie the blogs they move to Wordpress to Microsoft's Messenger instant messaging service and automatically ping their Messenger contacts whenever the blog is updated.
Spaces publishers will have a six-month window to transfer their blogs over to Wordpress.
The announcement was made at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco.
Wordpress is the platform behind 26 million websites. More than 250 million people visit Wordpress-hosted sites every month, according to the companies.
As Microsoft bows out of the blog publishing and hosting market, Wordpress.com continues to face competition from several rivals, including Google's Blogger and from the various products and services developed by Six Apart, which was acquired last week by VideoEgg.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts