How we tested HughesNet's service
Network World - We used two Dell 1950s (8 core Intel Xeon server running XenServer), one as a host for a Vyatta router and the other clustered to the HP DL580 G5 (16 core Intel Xeon server), along with another non-clustered HP DL585 G5 (16 core AMD server as SharePoint VM host), all running VMware ESXi 4.1.
Two networks were developed for the test, one for each scenario. Two switches (D-Link) were used, one connected to the satellite (network 2) and one connected to the NFrame network (network 1). A site-to-site VPN was setup between our Vyatta software router (Vyatta Core 6) to Hughes NOC in Georgetown, MD., which in turn connected to the satellite dish to our second network. Multiple Windows 7 client virtual machines were used to connect to a Windows 2008 Small Business server at NFrame through a Hughes 7700S router (and modem link) using the satellite circuit as a data link.
At HughesNet's suggestion, a second Windows 2008 Server was used as a secondary domain controller on the satellite network for faster logins. For testing downloads and uploads, we used Ubuntu 10.04 server on the satellite network to connect to our lab using Comcast broadband and also our extremelabs.com site (located in a different cabinet at nFrame) using scp and http. For general Web browsing, connecting to the local domain, e-mail and SharePoint services, we used the Windows 7 client VMs mentioned above.
For the failover scenario, we used a secondary Vyatta router which used VRRP to switch over to the satellite's router which would then route all the traffic through the satellite to nFrame. We tested connectivity similarly.
Read more about lan and wan in Network World's LAN & WAN section.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts