IDG News Service - A Venezuelan man was sentenced to 10 years in prison Friday for stealing and then reselling more than 10 million minutes of Internet phone service.
Edwin Pena, 27, was convicted in February of masterminding a scheme to hack into more than 15 telecommunications companies and then reroute calls to their networks at no charge. He must also pay more than $1 million in restitution, and will be deported once his sentence is served.
Pena was sentenced by Judge Susan Wigenton in U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey on computer hacking and wire fraud charges.
The scam cost his victims, including VoIP sellers Net2Phone, NovaTel and Go2Tel, more than $1.4 million in losses.
Pena is the first person to be charged by U.S. authorities with VoIP hacking, but he almost avoided prosecution. He skipped bail after his arrest, and was only captured after his Mexican girlfriend turned him in in early 2009.
Pena worked with Spokane, Washington, hacker Robert Moore to launch brute force attacks against the VoIP networks. Moore wrote computer programs that tried, again and again, to guess important prefix codes, which were then used to authorize traffic on the networks. Some of these codes were just four-digit numbers.
During a four-month period in 2005, Moore launched more than 6 million scans on AT&T's network, looking for vulnerable ports. AT&T helped authorities with their investigation, but was not named as a victim of the fraud.
Moore was previously given a two-year sentence for his role in the scheme.
Once he had access to the hacked networks, Pena operated as if he were a legitimate Internet phone wholesaler, selling telephone services to businesses at deeply discounted rates.
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- Dell Networking Campus Switching and Mobility Reference Architecture 2.0 The Campus Reference Architecture (CRA) 2.0 provides solutions to address key problems facing small to large businesses.
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Agency Transformation with Mobility Solutions The work environment at government agencies is changing rapidly, with employees seeking access to private networks, applications and content from a variety of...
- 5 Best Practices for Optimizing UC Monitoring This webcast discusses five best practices on how to successfully optimize and manage UC, as well as how to gain clear picture of...
- Customizing Unified Communications to Meet Today's Enterprise Demands What's the best way to implement UC? Many organizations are looking to Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) from providers such as Windstream... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!