No tethering for Windows Phone 7
Lack of tethering will put Windows 7 phones at a disadvantage
IDG News Service - Forthcoming Windows Phone 7 devices are expected to have most of the required features of today's smartphones -- an application store, a 5-megapixel or better camera, a touchscreen, gaming -- but there's one it won't have, and that's tethering.
This week, phone enthusiasts were abuzz with news that the phones would allow tethering depending on the operator, based on comments that Brandon Watson, director of developer experience for Windows Phone 7, made during a podcast.
Turns out he was wrong. On Friday, Microsoft said that, in fact, Windows Phone 7 devices won't allow tethering.
Tethering lets people connect their phones to a computer to access the Internet via a cellular network, with the phone serving as a modem.
Lack of tethering will put Windows 7 phones at a disadvantage compared with many of the other leading smartphones on the market.
Apple famously did not initially enable tethering, but after users clamored for it, began allowing it this year. BlackBerry and Android phones also allow it.
Microsoft has been promoting the new phone platform as one that will turn around its flagging mobile sales. Early reviewers have been mostly positive about their experiences with demonstration devices.
The first phones running the new operating system are expected to become available in October.
- Microsoft exec doesn't rule out Intel-based Windows Phones
- LG backs off Windows Phone for now, report says
- Carriers desperately seeking Windows Phone
- Review: Nokia Lumia 900 puts Windows Phone back in the race
- Microsoft spins Android malware into Windows Phone giveaway
- Microsoft pursues webOS devs, offers free phones
- First Windows Mango Phone unveiled
- Windows Phone OS Mango sent to manufacturers, carriers
- Ballmer: Windows Phone 7 not successful yet
- Microsoft offers developers early access to Windows Phone Mango
- Who does NSS Labs "Recommend" for NGFW? In 2012, NSS Labs found that most available NGFW solutions "fell short in performance and security effectiveness." In 2013 NSS Labs noted "marked...
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution In 9 Essentials for a Complete Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Solution, we'll walk you through potential sources of data loss in the cloud and provide...
- Workload Change: The 70 Percent of Your Business DevOps Forgot Adding WLA early in the development process ensures that the benefits of DevOps accrue for all applications, including your batch services. This paper...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Protecting Critical SaaS Data Before It's Too Late In this webinar, you'll hear how to avoid SaaS data loss through best practices from a panel of experts. All Operating Systems White Papers | Webcasts