Bookmaker.com lays odds on upcoming tablet launches
HTC Tablet next best bet to launch after BlackPad
Computerworld - HTC is most likely to introduce a tablet computer after the rumored BlackPad from Research in Motion is launched, online odds maker Bookmaker.com predicts.
Tablet computers, and which maker will release the next iPad rival, are hot enough to have attracted everybody's attention -- including gamblers. While Bookmaker.com may not have the credentials of a Gartner analyst, it does occasionally place odds on technology launches, especially the most-discussed ones.
Bookmaker.com is placing odds on which of six manufacturers will be next to release a tablet.
The sportsbook put HTC as a 50-50 bet to be the next to launch a tablet, followed by Nokia, which Bookmaker.com said has a 40% chance of being next. It then listed four others tied at 25% as the most likely to announce a tablet: LG, Sharp, Motorola and Sanyo.
The list doesn't include the BlackPad from BlackBerry maker Research in Motion. The BlackPad is rumored to coming next week, and wasn't included because that device seems a fairly sure bet, a spokesman for Bookmaker.com said in an interview.
Bookmaker.com lists HTC with the lowest payout since it is most likely to be the next to launch a tablet. HTC would pay 1:1 or $100 for every $100 bet. Nokia would pay 1.5:1 or $150 for every $100 bet. All the others would pay 3:1 or $300 for every $100 bet.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts