Bookmaker.com lays odds on upcoming tablet launches
HTC Tablet next best bet to launch after BlackPad
Computerworld - HTC is most likely to introduce a tablet computer after the rumored BlackPad from Research in Motion is launched, online odds maker Bookmaker.com predicts.
Tablet computers, and which maker will release the next iPad rival, are hot enough to have attracted everybody's attention -- including gamblers. While Bookmaker.com may not have the credentials of a Gartner analyst, it does occasionally place odds on technology launches, especially the most-discussed ones.
Bookmaker.com is placing odds on which of six manufacturers will be next to release a tablet.
The sportsbook put HTC as a 50-50 bet to be the next to launch a tablet, followed by Nokia, which Bookmaker.com said has a 40% chance of being next. It then listed four others tied at 25% as the most likely to announce a tablet: LG, Sharp, Motorola and Sanyo.
The list doesn't include the BlackPad from BlackBerry maker Research in Motion. The BlackPad is rumored to coming next week, and wasn't included because that device seems a fairly sure bet, a spokesman for Bookmaker.com said in an interview.
Bookmaker.com lists HTC with the lowest payout since it is most likely to be the next to launch a tablet. HTC would pay 1:1 or $100 for every $100 bet. Nokia would pay 1.5:1 or $150 for every $100 bet. All the others would pay 3:1 or $300 for every $100 bet.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- 4 Customers who never have to refresh their PCs again This paper illustrates a common theme: the combination of desktop virtualization and thin client computing helps organizations deliver an up-to-date user experience more...
- Mobile Devices: The New Thin Clients Get essential guidance for understanding the role thin clients plus virtual desktops play in the enterprise today.
- Taking Windows Mobile on Any Device Taking Windows applications mobile has many advantages, but the process of identifying a solution is complex. Learn how to solve this complex problem...
- PaaS - Powering a New Era of Business IT Why PaaS has suddenly become relevant and irresistible to many organizations. Dive into the opportunities and considerations associated with using PaaS from an...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts