Bookmaker.com lays odds on upcoming tablet launches
HTC Tablet next best bet to launch after BlackPad
Computerworld - HTC is most likely to introduce a tablet computer after the rumored BlackPad from Research in Motion is launched, online odds maker Bookmaker.com predicts.
Tablet computers, and which maker will release the next iPad rival, are hot enough to have attracted everybody's attention -- including gamblers. While Bookmaker.com may not have the credentials of a Gartner analyst, it does occasionally place odds on technology launches, especially the most-discussed ones.
Bookmaker.com is placing odds on which of six manufacturers will be next to release a tablet.
The sportsbook put HTC as a 50-50 bet to be the next to launch a tablet, followed by Nokia, which Bookmaker.com said has a 40% chance of being next. It then listed four others tied at 25% as the most likely to announce a tablet: LG, Sharp, Motorola and Sanyo.
The list doesn't include the BlackPad from BlackBerry maker Research in Motion. The BlackPad is rumored to coming next week, and wasn't included because that device seems a fairly sure bet, a spokesman for Bookmaker.com said in an interview.
Bookmaker.com lists HTC with the lowest payout since it is most likely to be the next to launch a tablet. HTC would pay 1:1 or $100 for every $100 bet. Nokia would pay 1.5:1 or $150 for every $100 bet. All the others would pay 3:1 or $300 for every $100 bet.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!