Verizon CEO expects data pricing tiers within six months
It's following AT&T's lead, but not with same plans, Seidenberg says
Computerworld - Tiered data pricing is coming to Verizon Wireless customers within four to six months, Verizon Communications CEO Ivan Seidenberg said at an investor conference early Thursday.
Verizon is expected to begin tiered pricing along with the launch of 4G LTE networks and devices, something that Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam had predicted at a different investor conference in May. Verizon Wireless is a division of Verizon Communications.
AT&T introduced a two-tier pricing scheme earlier this year, but Seidenberg said the tiers would be different for Verizon. "We didn't need to be first on tiered pricing," he said at a Goldman Sachs conference. (An audio replay is available online.)
Sprint Nextel CEO Dan Hesse on Wednesday said Sprint is not expected to impose tiered pricing, which is also sometimes called metered pricing. But he said, "we will watch it closely."
Carriers are concerned that smartphones with large screens and fast processors will sap network capacity with heavy data downloads, thereby limiting capacity for other users.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Mission Critical Cloud Powers Freesat Website, Mobile App When subscription-free satellite TV service Freesat needed a scalable, cost-effective infrastructure it found the disaster recovery and security features it needed with Peer...
- Bring Your Own Device: From Security to Success Download this e-Book to learn best practices for executing a BYOD policy.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Don't Believe the Hype: Not All Containers are Created Equal Hear executives discuss the 3 C's of Secure Mobility-content, credentials, and configurations-and learn the inherent security risks to your organization of using MDM...
- Navigating the New Wireless Landscape Thriving in the new wireless landscape View Now>> All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts