IDG News Service - Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland defended his order to ban offshoring of state government work, describing it as "common sense".
In a letter to U.S. Trade Representative Ron Kirk, Strickland said that "no one in India, or anywhere else, is going to tell the citizens of Ohio where we can create jobs or how we can spend our resources."
Tuesday's letter to Kirk comes as top Indian government officials visit the U.S. for trade talks, in which the ban on offshoring by Ohio, and a federal law raising the costs of visas, are likely to figure in the discussions.
In the letter, Strickland said he wanted to clearly state the nature and purpose of Ohio's policy.
An executive order last month from Strickland, a Democrat, sparked protests from the Indian government and the outsourcing industry, as it banned the expenditure of public funds for offshore purposes.
India's National Association of Software and Service Companies (Nasscom) described Ohio's ban on offshore outsourcing as discrimination against Indian outsourcers.
State officials must at all times remain focused on initiatives that create and retain jobs in the U.S. in general, and in Ohio in particular, specially during Ohio's continuing efforts to recover from the recent global recession, the governor's order said.
The move by Ohio has alarmed Indian outsourcers as it comes a few weeks after the U.S. passed legislation that increased visa fees to pay for border security.
The Indian side is worried that rhetoric and actions against offshore outsourcing may pick up in the run-up to mid-term elections in the U.S. The high unemployment rate in the U.S. is expected to be a key election issue.
Strickland said in his letter to Kirk that while Indian officials have objected to his actions, they have admitted they do not have a case in the World Trade Organization (WTO) because his executive order does not violate any trade agreement with India,
There is no need to go across the globe to buy services that can be readily provided in Ohio or in the U.S., Strickland said.
The Indian delegation to the U.S. criticized Ohio's position as "ill-advised." India's commerce and industry minister, Anand Sharma, said in Washington on Tuesday that India was also helping to create jobs by for example buying aircraft from Boeing, according to the Press Trust of India, an Indian news agency.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Omnichannel: From Buzzword to Strategy Customers demand a seamless experience across channels, especially mobile. Read this whitepaper for a research-based framework for using omnichannel for higher customer engagement.
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Developing a Winning Mobile Strategy: Playing Offense vs Defense Don't lose time and money with a "throw an app against a wall to see if sticks" approach to mobile. You need a...
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- Live Webcast Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information...
- Increasing the Value of Your Reports and Dashboards Learn how incorporating other analytical capabilities such as predictive modeling and visualization can increase the value of your reports and dashboards by providing... All Management White Papers | Webcasts