BlackBerry tablet may appear next week, report says
IDG News Service - Research in Motion may introduce a tablet computer next week, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.
Persistent rumors over the past few months have pointed to a BlackBerry tablet that would compete with Apple's popular iPad.
The Journal, citing unnamed "RIM insiders," provides some details of what such a tablet might look like. The device will have a 7-inch touchscreen and one or two built-in cameras, the report says.
It will not connect directly to cellular networks. Users will have to connect through their BlackBerry devices instead. But the tablet will come with a "broadband connection," the Journal says, presumably Wi-Fi.
Apple's iPad comes in two configurations: one with cellular and Wi-Fi, the other with just Wi-Fi.
Instead of the new BlackBerry 6 operating system, the tablet will run new software developed by QNX Software Systems, a company RIM purchased earlier this year, the Journal says.
An announcement could come at the BlackBerry Devcon conference in San Francisco next week, with devices shipping in the fourth quarter, the Journal reported.
RIM declined to comment on what it called "rumors and speculation."
RIM lost its number-one position among smartphone makers in the U.S. to Android recently, according to research from Canalys. It has also struggled to keep up with cutting-edge competitors like Apple and Google. The recently released Torch, built on a new BlackBerry operating system, was meant to help BlackBerry regain its leadership position, but some reports say it hasn't sold well.
Since Apple launched the iPad, many other hardware makers have been racing to release a competitive product. Apple sold more than 3 million iPads in the first three months it was on the market.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts