Droid X update to Froyo is now ready
Verizon begins pushing over-the-air updates Wednesday
Computerworld - Verizon Wireless will push Android 2.2, or Froyo, over the air to Motorola Droid X smartphones on Wednesday, though customers can start updating to the new OS now on their own, the carrier said Tuesday.
Droid X users can start their own update by going to Menu>Settings>About Phone>System Updates. Verizon has also posted step-by-step instructions on its Web site.
A full list of the updates in the new Android version is available on Verizon's Web site.
Verizon recently came under fire for confirming it would not offer Froyo on the HTC Droid Eris smartphone, even though it had provided the update to the HTC Droid Incredible in late August.
HTC's Evo 4G on Sprint Nextel's network got the Froyo update in early August.
The Droid X, which went on sale July 15 for $200 and a two-year contract, has shipped so far with the Android 2.1 OS. Verizon had promised the Android 2.2 update in the latter part of the summer.
Verizon just made that deadline, since Tuesday is the last full day of summer in the U.S. (Autumn starts at 3:09 AM GMT on Sept. 23, which is 10:09 PM EDT Sept. 22).
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sprint to resell Google Apps for Business cloud service
- Samsung's S5 mini: Slimmer and slower than S5, but still scans fingerprints
- Privacy-focused Blackphone starts shipping to early adopters
- Why you shouldn't buy the Amazon Fire phone
- A closer look at the new technologies in Amazon's Fire smartphone
- Amazon's Fire phone is 'Prime' example of customer first
- Amazon's expected smartphone already faces skeptics
- Update: Tizen OS declared 'dead in the water'
- LG's new G3 smartphone: Simpler is better
- LG G3 sports quad-HD screen and laser autofocus
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!