Droid X update to Froyo is now ready
Verizon begins pushing over-the-air updates Wednesday
Computerworld - Verizon Wireless will push Android 2.2, or Froyo, over the air to Motorola Droid X smartphones on Wednesday, though customers can start updating to the new OS now on their own, the carrier said Tuesday.
Droid X users can start their own update by going to Menu>Settings>About Phone>System Updates. Verizon has also posted step-by-step instructions on its Web site.
A full list of the updates in the new Android version is available on Verizon's Web site.
Verizon recently came under fire for confirming it would not offer Froyo on the HTC Droid Eris smartphone, even though it had provided the update to the HTC Droid Incredible in late August.
HTC's Evo 4G on Sprint Nextel's network got the Froyo update in early August.
The Droid X, which went on sale July 15 for $200 and a two-year contract, has shipped so far with the Android 2.1 OS. Verizon had promised the Android 2.2 update in the latter part of the summer.
Verizon just made that deadline, since Tuesday is the last full day of summer in the U.S. (Autumn starts at 3:09 AM GMT on Sept. 23, which is 10:09 PM EDT Sept. 22).
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BlackBerry pushes BBM Protected for end-to-end encrypted messaging
- Can Microsoft's Windows Phone OS surge in market share?
- HTC One M8 called a good looker and genuine rival to the Galaxy S5
- Smartphone innovation is slowing, so what's next?
- Studies show Sprint and T-Mobile need to expand U.S. coverage
- Gear Fit: Samsung strikes again with its 'build one of any device' plan
- Nokia Lumia Icon on sale Feb. 20 exclusively at Verizon
- Samsung hints at new UI for upcoming Galaxy S5
- How 'Lenovorola' changes the mobile world
- Google and Samsung grow cozier with patent deal, Motorola sale
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!