EMC to help digitize Baseball Hall of Fame collections
Almost 40,000 3D images will be digitized and stored on EMC Celerra NAS systems for online viewing
The Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., features almost 40,000 three-dimensional artifacts, millions of documents and images, and thousands of hours of audio and video.
The digitization project, scheduled to launch later this year, will take about three years to complete, transforming the museum's nearly 500,000 photographs, more than 12,000 hours of recorded audio and video, three million documents and nearly 40,000 3D artifacts into digital content that will be available to future generations.
Another goal of the initiative is to help to preserve the historical content.
As part of the project, the EMC Consulting operation will develop a long-term strategic plan for digitizing and storing the collection on EMC Celerra network-attached unified storage systems (NAS). The system will use EMC's Avamar software for backup and recovery.
Using NAS technology will provide the Hall of Fame with a simple, yet effective way to reach its archival objectives while controlling network utilization, minimizing secondary storage growth, and reducing backup time, EMC said in a statement.
EMC said it would also provide support for the museum's videoconferencing education series, which has allowed tens of thousands of students across the country to visit the museum virtually through live video conferencing technology. The topic of baseball is then used by the museum to teach the students math, science and history.
Through interactive, one-hour units, teachers and guest speakers introduce students to the Museum's 16 areas of learning emphasis. Curriculum units currently include mathematics, science, American history, leadership, labor history, fine arts, character education, special abilities, cultural diversity, communications arts, economics, civil rights, pop culture, geography, industrial technology and women's history.
"Through the support of EMC, the Hall of Fame will be well-positioned to deliver content around the globe, with these critically important initiatives to digitize and make available our assets to everyone, not just those who are able to travel to Cooperstown," Jeff Idelson, president of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, said in a statement.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- Rebranded Quadmark revamps its IT solutions with Google Apps Switching to Google Apps halved Quadmark's IT admin costs while achieving 10% time savings per employee. The global consulting firm now spends 80%...
- CrashPlan PROe Security Because mobile laptops often are connected to unsecured networks, a very high standard of security is required to ensure privacy.
- Protecting Digitalized Assets in Healthcare Healthcare providers face an urgent, internal battle every day: security and compliance versus productivity and service. For most healthcare organizations, the fight is...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations. All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts