Seagate launches 1.5TB portable hard drive
The new Seagate GoFlex drive uses the Superspeed USB 3.0 specification
Computerworld - Seagate today unveiled what it calls the world's first 2.5-in, 1.5TB portable hard disk drive.
The new Seagate 1.5TB GoFlex ultra-portable drive is now shipping in the U.S.
The GoFlex drive comes with a Superspeed USB 3.0 interface cable, which offers data transfer speeds 10x that of USB 2.0 when connected to a USB 3.0 port. For example, a drive using a USB 3.0 connection can transfer a 25GB file in under five minutes versus the 14 minutes it would take using a traditional USB 2.0 drive.
The drive also comes with a bonus movie already on it, Seagate said.
"Today's announcement is a 'triple-crown' of consumer technology," said Darcy Clarkson, vice president of Global Retail Sales and Marketing for Seagate. Darcy was referring to Seagates recent release of a 3TB GoFlex desktop drive and the Momentus XT solid state hybrid drive.
The GoFlex ultra-portable drives are compatible with both the Windows and Mac OS X systems and the drives includes an NTFS driver for Mac, which allows the hard drive to store and access files from both Windows and Mac OS X computers without reformatting. The NTFS driver must be installed once on the Mac OS X computer, allowing it to read and write files on a Windows formatted drive.
The GoFlex ultra-portable 2.5-in drive is available in capacities of 320GB, 500GB, 750GB and 1TB.
The 1.5TB GoFlex ultra-portable drive with USB 3.0 adapter can be purchased on Seagate.com and through select retailers for $249.99.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- Mobile Content, Collaboration & IDC's 3rd IT Platform: The Next Frontier for the Mobile Enterprise IDC focuses this article on talks about the new IT platform. This 3rd IT Platform will be the new wave for about the...
- 2014 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup Software and Integrated Appliances Enterprise backup is among the oldest, most-performed tasks for IT professionals. Gartner provides analysis and evaluation of the leading providers that offer a...
- Data Warehousing: modern ecosystems for big data & analytics Five years ago, IBM observed that the planet was becoming more instrumented, interconnected and intelligent. Some 20,000 engagements later, here's what we've learned...
- IBM PureData System for Analytics compared with Teradata This report from ITG compares the cost and time to value of IBM PureData System for Analytics with that of Teradata DW Appliance...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- The Foundation You Need to Build a Better Storage Infrastructure Watch this webcast to hear how you can maximize the economics of your data center by modifying your storage footprint and power usage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts