Seagate launches 1.5TB portable hard drive
The new Seagate GoFlex drive uses the Superspeed USB 3.0 specification
Computerworld - Seagate today unveiled what it calls the world's first 2.5-in, 1.5TB portable hard disk drive.
The new Seagate 1.5TB GoFlex ultra-portable drive is now shipping in the U.S.
The GoFlex drive comes with a Superspeed USB 3.0 interface cable, which offers data transfer speeds 10x that of USB 2.0 when connected to a USB 3.0 port. For example, a drive using a USB 3.0 connection can transfer a 25GB file in under five minutes versus the 14 minutes it would take using a traditional USB 2.0 drive.
The drive also comes with a bonus movie already on it, Seagate said.
"Today's announcement is a 'triple-crown' of consumer technology," said Darcy Clarkson, vice president of Global Retail Sales and Marketing for Seagate. Darcy was referring to Seagates recent release of a 3TB GoFlex desktop drive and the Momentus XT solid state hybrid drive.
The GoFlex ultra-portable drives are compatible with both the Windows and Mac OS X systems and the drives includes an NTFS driver for Mac, which allows the hard drive to store and access files from both Windows and Mac OS X computers without reformatting. The NTFS driver must be installed once on the Mac OS X computer, allowing it to read and write files on a Windows formatted drive.
The GoFlex ultra-portable 2.5-in drive is available in capacities of 320GB, 500GB, 750GB and 1TB.
The 1.5TB GoFlex ultra-portable drive with USB 3.0 adapter can be purchased on Seagate.com and through select retailers for $249.99.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Using VM Archiving to Solve VM Sprawl This CommVault whitepaper discusses how archiving virtual machines can mitigate VM sprawl with a comprehensive approach to VM lifecycle management.
- Keep Your Network Available, Efficient and Secure Make the most of your network by working with experts who "get it." CDW and F5 have partnered to keep networks highly optimized....
- Make or Break: New Auto Products Must Go To Market On Time This Webcast quantifies the value of time to market for the auto industry and highlights how Primavera Enterprise Portfolio Management can help organizations.
- IBM Flash Webcast: Optimizing your Datacenter for Efficient Storage & ROI Register for this webcast to learn the benefits of flash storage from IBM Customer, Leonardo Irastorza of Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd and Storage... All Data Storage White Papers | Webcasts